Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed my fan pulley has a slight rock to it when moved by hand. Is this the sign of a pump going bad? Also can this shaft movement make a ticking sound when the engine is running? And last what pump mfgr do you folks recommend? I've seen Airtex, BMG, Bosch anmd some others.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Hello Hipcheck,

As you probably know - -I like to start out simple.
First make certain the 4 bolts holding the fan are tight.

The wobble could indicate the pump is on the way out.
If this is true it will likely leak soon at the bearing.

As far as brands - -I would probably get the "GATES" as shown in this
list. This is a company I have used OFTEN and they have a lot of name brand stuff
and MANY sales. Chec them out. They ship fast as well - a classy company

RockAuto Parts Catalog

The pump going bad could cause a tick - from belt alignment to even the bearing
itself going .

Check out - -RockAuto

Print Dad

·
Registered
503 Posts
Yeah its likely the water pump going or the fan spacer and/or bolts are busted up. CJ Pony Parts has original ford iron water pumps if you're trying to keep it stock, or you could switch to an aluminum Edelbrock one.

As for the ticking sound while running, this sounds like a valve problem. One of them is likely loose. This link might help with the procedure (its not difficult once you figure it out):

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/classic-tech/257638-1968-302-mustang-valve-adjustment.html

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I bought a gates pump fromn NAPA. I also thought valve/lifter. I have been through the valves and can't find anything. I've doen the stethoscope trick and hear no noise coning from the valve train with the valve covers on. Good oil flow through the push rods and no noise when the valve covers are off. All rockers are tight and right at the correct lash setting. I feel pretty confident the tick is coming from the water pump. I also noticed the AC pully is not in very good alignment with the crank pulley, so I'll be shimming that to line up.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Allright. I swapped out the water pump. The shafdt had quite a bit of play in it. I also shimmed the compressor barcket mounst so the belt lines up nice. However, it dod not solve my ticking noise. I got real close in there and just when you push the throttle it has a slight tick tick tick, but it seems to go away as the RPMs go up. Let off the throttle down to idle and hit it again and you get tick just as the RPMs start to go up and then it dies away.

I thought it might be an exhaust leak and I had a few loose header bolts but I tightened them and it still ticks. But only right from idle and then goes away. I thought if you had a loose rocker the sound would be consistent regardless of the RPMs. You guys think loose rocker arm or lifter pumping up late or improperly?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts