Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Im soon thinking of getting a new radiator and water pump at the same time due to the water pump is getting slack in it and the radiator is half rusted, and upon my findings i looked at my radiator and (facing the front of the vehicle) the top big tube runs on the left of the radiator and the bottom big tube for water runs on the right, now this is weird and i think i have a inline 6 radiator, but this isn't the weird part, my water pump it puts the big rubber hose on the right side. (Note the right side is the one w/ the ps pump and left side is the alternator side just so u know what im referring to) now i look up on advance and all their pumps have the sending big rubber hose on the left (the hose that connects to the bottom) So im looking through all my books and am yet to find a picture of a water pump like mine. also when looking up radiators in autozone and advance i find that the v8 radiators had the big rubber tubes on the same side (both on the left) Which would match up w/ the water pumps that i see on advance. im wondering whats up w/ the system i have? can anyone help meh? o and also if u can does anyone have a picture of a 302 around that area (water pump, where the hoses come out) so i can see what its supposed to look like.

sorry for the long post and thanks in advanced

·
Registered
131 Posts
Shag...if you got to the MySpace page listed in my signature you can look at my '68 with a 302. I have pics pre-, during, and post-disassembly.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok now i feel dumb lol i have a newer water pump apparently my motor was givin a 71 water pump which points on the drivers side of the car.

·
Registered
227 Posts
ok now i feel dumb lol i have a newer water pump apparently my motor was givin a 71 water pump which points on the drivers side of the car.
Late model 5.0's also use a water pump w/ the outlet on the drivers-side. I'm changing my water pump to one w/ a passenger-side outlet, as I'm switching to a v-belt set up among other things.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Shag...don't feel like you missed the boat. In a lot of Mustangs there were two different water pump/radiator set-ups. That's why on the aftermarket catalogs they list "passenger side" and "drivers side" for the upper hose when you are looking for radiators or water pumps.

Veronica may correct me on this because I won't claim to be an expert, but what is "right" may very well depend on the year/engine package it came with.

Veronica/others...Am I correct on this?

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Up to and including 1969 all Mustang small blocks had the water pump inlet on the passenger side. In 1970, Mustang small blocks all changed to a driver's side inlet. There was also a change to the harmonic balancer in which the bolt holes to fasten the lower pulley changed from 3 to 4.

Either water pump will bolt right up to the engine. I've seen where some people will have the wrong rad. or pump and they will use a section of metal tubing and rubber elbow hoses on each end as a remedy.

If you see radiators with the bottom port on the driver's side for 67 through 69 Mustangs, these are for the big block engines. I hope this eliminates some confusion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.