Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am building a new 289 for my 67. I installed the timing chain cover, water pump and dampner. I installed the new bottom pulley and then the water pump pulley. They do not line up by about 1/4" The bottom one is sticking out further than the top. I assume this will also be the same problem when I mount the alternator. I was wondering if the solution is to shim the water pump pulley and the alternator if need be. I am sure the dampner is all the way in. Any ideas?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Are all the pulleys from the same year 289/302? There are a few differences between years that might cause problems. You might try mounting the alternator to see which pulley it matches. It seems like there are a couple different depth water pump pulleys.

·
Registered
103 Posts
You sure you have the correct water pump?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I bought a late model 331 short block and am building it up with new parts. I have to admit I am a little confused as to which items should be late model and which should be for a 67. I will double check the water pump.

Thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
im having the same problem except my engine is a 1968 302 and the water pump pulley is 1/8 inch to far out and i bought it new. it was said to be for a 1968 289 302 but it don't line up go figure.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Depending up what year and all you have there were different Ford pulleys that varied in their offsets by 0.2". Sounds like you have a mixed set of pulleys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts