Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to put a HiPo water pump on a regular 302 block?

Here's why I'm asking: I want to replace my water pump with something a little more high-flowing. Before I spent any money, I wanted to make sure it would fit. All the 289/302/351W pumps I can find are all longer than what I've got, which is just a shade over 5" hub height. This seems to correspond to the hub height of a HiPo pump. I do not want to get a pump that is too long and have to replace my crank pulley, shorten my fan spacer, and shim out the alternator to get the belts to line up!

I searched my current pump for any casting numbers, but all I can find is a raised rectangle with "P-420" stamped on it, and an emblem that sort of looks like a chess pawn or Champagne glass in a circle.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
I don't think there was a Hipo water pump, I have seen both style water pumps on Hipo engines, two types, one aluminum with no backing plate, the other cast iron with a backing plate with gaskets on both sides of it, the timing covers are different also. I personally run the aluminum one, and I spin my engine to 7500 rpms. My question is do you really need more flow, are you having a overheating problem? Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't overheat, but the car runs hot at higher RPM's. Cools back down to 180 at idle. I have eliminated everything else. I was looking at Edelbrock pumps, but only the one for the HiPo is the same length as mine; the "regular" 289/302/351W pump is 5.42", which is too long. Other manufacturers seem to run the same way, having shorter HiPo pumps.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
If you want more water to pump you don't want a HiPo pump. From the Mannel SBF book:

HiPo pumps used the same casting numbers as on standard 289s. Only the impeller was different...with 6 vanes instead of 8 vanes.

In other words, the pump was essentially the same except with fewer vanes which would pump LESS water at a given RPM because the engine was intended to scream to 7,000 RPM. If you heat up on the road and cool at idle I would say you have a problem other than a water pump. On a car working correctly its the other way around; its more difficult to keep it cool at idle.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
I would check the total timing (mechanical + initial), Ford recommends no higher than 38 BTC. And thanks to Ivy66GT I never noticed the impellers. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Total timing is 36*. Have tried both advancing it and retarding it with no effect at all.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the spring. As I said, I have eliminated everything else. Radiator is a new Champion 3-row, thermostat is new also. I just want to find a pump that is the same length as the one I've got, so I don't have to redo everything else. The only ones I can find are HiPo pumps.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Solved! All it was was a thermostat going bad. I guess it just wouldn't fully open. I replaced it, and now it holds at about 190* at 85mph. I still don't know what kind of water pump I have, though...

·
Registered
400 Posts
Could you go with a smaller pulley on your water pump? This would give you more impeller speed at the same engine RPM. More impller speed equals more flow. Just a thought.

That still seems a little high at the 85 mph. I live in Hell (well, Fort Myers Florida) and even with the a/c on my temp gauge will not get above 180. My engine isn't modified though, so it may be apples to oranges.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought about trying to find a smaller pulley, but now I'm happy with everything. I think the original thermostats were 192* or 195*, so I think I'm right where I want to be. Runs about 184* at idle with the 180* thermostat. Other than upgraded ignition and intake, the motor is unmodified.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I told my supplier that my car always ran hot, he said to go with a 160 thermostat. The dang gauge now barely gets to 1/3 way up. Think im going with a 180 next time. I'm not having problems with the lower temp but they should run a bit warmer i would think.

I got me a "new" water pump a few months back. (CARDONE brand) hope its not too long. Havnt got around to putting it on yet. Should i expect problems?

·
Registered
400 Posts
I just replaced mine with a NAPA special. I think it was a Gates or something like that. Went in like a champ and fit perfectly. It eleiminated a bad sounding clicking which turned out to be a worn bearing on the pump.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts