Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My water temperature gage quit working. I replaced the sending unit, but it's still pegged to the left. I took out the gage cluster to check for a loose connection, but it's still not working.

Ford and junk yards only sell the whole gage cluster, not individual gages. I've been told if you replace the gage cluster, the car isn't going to start after that. That's to force you to take it to the dealer who has to reprogram it, but they said that they can't set your odometer to what your actual mileage was on your original.

I'm wondering if I could buy a cluster out of the junk yard and extract the water temp gage to transplant into mine, and if so would it work without having to take it to the dealer to reprogram? I'm assuming that step is there to keep you from tampering with the speedometer/odometer, and maybe if I only changed the water gage (assuming that's possible) I could swap it out in my garage.

Has anybody done this and know if it will work or not?

Thanks, Rob

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
The odometer will be right regardless, its controlled by the ecu, not sure if you have to reprogram anything for a new guage, that would have to do with the pats. You can't just swap in a new water guage, its not even close to reasonable to attempt and no guarantees it would work or look right. If you've already replaced the sending unit, its likely a problem in the wiring, maybe a fuse, or maybe even its low on coolant. It could be the guage, but look for other things first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not a fuse as the rest of the panel works fine, and the coolant level is good too. The car is running at the right temp and the fan cuts on and off like it should.

What's a "pats"?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
PATS = Passive Anti Theft System - In essence a system that talks between your instrument cluster and a chip in your key to make sure the key is allowed to start the car.

If you take a plain steel key, and reproduce your car key to it, PATS will detect there is no chip present, and thus not allow you to start the car.

Just searching on the site for PATS yields a load of threads :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.