Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its about that time.....come November 1st my baby goes into hibernation for 6 months. This will be the first time I will have stored a car, so im wondering.....ive had the car since september 1st....should I clay/wax the car before I store her for the winter? I have a nice Ford mustang car cover on the way but I dont want my paint to look bad when I pull her out May 1st.

Thanks for the input
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,570 Posts
ABSOLUTELY!!! The wax will reduce the friction of the cover on the painted surface and also fight oxidation. Covered or not, the air (duh) still gets to it. If there is EVER a question of "Should I wax?" then default to the answer...YES!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,170 Posts
dcranford said:
Well its about that time.....come November 1st my baby goes into hibernation for 6 months. This will be the first time I will have stored a car, so im wondering.....ive had the car since september 1st....should I clay/wax the car before I store her for the winter? I have a nice Ford mustang car cover on the way but I dont want my paint to look bad when I pull her out May 1st.

Thanks for the input
I hope you just don't let it sit there that long without moving, :shocked: starting it once in awhile.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
dcranford said:
Well its about that time.....come November 1st my baby goes into hibernation for 6 months. This will be the first time I will have stored a car, so im wondering.....ive had the car since september 1st....should I clay/wax the car before I store her for the winter? I have a nice Ford mustang car cover on the way but I dont want my paint to look bad when I pull her out May 1st.

Thanks for the input
I just got my new Stang on Sept. 14/05 and I've already waxed her. It stays cleaner when it's waxed. I will be storing mine as well as soon as the snow hits. It will be going in the garage with a cover on it (which I already have) and I plan on starting it up every couple of weeks or so and roll it out of the garage just so it's not sitting in one place all winter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,170 Posts
mustang_randy said:
I just got my new Stang on Sept. 14/05 and I've already waxed her. It stays cleaner when it's waxed. I will be storing mine as well as soon as the snow hits. It will be going in the garage with a cover on it (which I already have) and I plan on starting it up every couple of weeks or so and roll it out of the garage just so it's not sitting in one place all winter.
I have an old pickup for the winter too, I will take out the stang when there is no snow or ice out, it just would be very hard not to drive it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
pcfrisch said:
I have an old pickup for the winter too, I will take out the stang when there is no snow or ice out, it just would be very hard not to drive it.
Well, I'm going to find it hard especially after a month or so of not driving it since I just got it, however, I'm going to have to discipline myself because after the city puts salt on the road..even when it's dry, the dust from the salt will get up underneath it and all over it and I didn't go with any undercoating. But come spring I will be terrorizing the streets again!:laughlitt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually from experts ive talked to, its better if your storing it in as cold garage (read not climate controlled) not to start it until you are ready to pull it out the next spring. So I dont plan on starting it until may 1st once she is put away.

Here is my checklist

1. Wash/Wax/Polish
2. Interior clean/detail
3. Change oil
4. Fill Gas tank with non-oxygenated fuel add Sta-Bil
5. put down tarp on floor of garage
6. Put carpet pices on 4 corners of tarp
7. Pull car battery and trickle charge once a month
8. put on car cover

Walk away (cry slowly)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,570 Posts
I never heard of the no start thing, but anyways don't forget to throw some heet in the tank. Does a better job at water elimination that sta-bil does. Also, if you take battery indoors it's easier on it especially if not starting the car up every so often. I take it you're not even going to move the car??? Doesn't that cause "flat spots" on the tires????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont beleive you will get flat spots with the tires nowadays. The older ply tires you got flat spots from what ive heard but not the newer ones.

Someone please tell me if im wrong.

BTW, last night I ordered the following from Zaino

ZFX
ZPRO-2
Z-18 Claybar
2 Even Applicators
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,170 Posts
dcranford said:
I dont beleive you will get flat spots with the tires nowadays. The older ply tires you got flat spots from what ive heard but not the newer ones.

Someone please tell me if im wrong.

BTW, last night I ordered the following from Zaino

ZFX
ZPRO-2
Z-18 Claybar
2 Even Applicators
I think you need to find new experts, if you don't start that car once in awhile, all the oil will drain from the cylinder walls and come time to start it up after 6 months, not good, not to mention any condensation anywhere in the engine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
dcranford said:
Actually from experts ive talked to, its better if your storing it in as cold garage (read not climate controlled) not to start it until you are ready to pull it out the next spring. So I dont plan on starting it until may 1st once she is put away.

Here is my checklist

1. Wash/Wax/Polish
2. Interior clean/detail
3. Change oil
4. Fill Gas tank with non-oxygenated fuel add Sta-Bil
5. put down tarp on floor of garage
6. Put carpet pices on 4 corners of tarp
7. Pull car battery and trickle charge once a month
8. put on car cover

Walk away (cry slowly)
I buddy of mine who is a mechanic at one of the Ford dealers here told me to put cardboard down on the garage floor to absorb any moisture that might leach out of the cement. He also mentioned to me that I should start the car occasionally and move it out (although not necessary) of the garage from time to time. But most definitely start it once in awhile.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
pcfrisch said:
I think you need to find new experts, if you don't start that car once in awhile, all the oil will drain from the cylinder walls and come time to start it up after 6 months, not good, not to mention any condensation anywhere in the engine.
It is proper not to start a car during storage.I will see if I can post a copy of an article here. Your oil has drained down out of the motor with in a week so each and every storage start is doing more damage.I have a couple of collectors cars that will sit all winter the only time I will start them is when I plan on taking them out for a drive and when i go out its for at least a 30 minute drive to get the car up to tempiture,

As for carbord or plywood under a stored car that is also a mistake as all it will do is wick the moisture from the concrete,

Good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Storage

I wax, clean, change oil, use breathable cover etc. Also, I've been using stuff called Seafoam in the fuel as stabilizer cuz I was told it doesn't leave residue when fuel evaporates like StaBil does. Might be BS but has worked so far.

I put a "battery maintainer" on the batt when I store. It's a 1/2 amp automatic charger I got at WalMart (sorry) that trickles when needed and keeps the batt topped off but not overcharged. I also pump the tires up to about 45 psi, thinking I might be preventing flatspotting. I also start the beast up once in a while and pull it out into the sunshine until it gets warmed up real good. So far this has worked well for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So cardboard and plywood are not good to put on concrete, what about the plastic tarp and the carpet pieces at each of the 4 wheels?

I also have heard of seafoam, however have never used it. I live in Minneapolis MN and Paul Brand on auto talk really talks it up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
pcfrisch said:
I hope you just don't let it sit there that long without moving, :shocked: starting it once in awhile.
Definately DO NOT start the car unless you intend on letting it reach operating temps. You will only create condensation in the motor and exhaust system.

Follow the steps dcranford posted:

Here is my checklist

1. Wash/Wax/Polish
2. Interior clean/detail
3. Change oil
4. Fill Gas tank with non-oxygenated fuel add Sta-Bil
5. put down tarp on floor of garage
6. Put carpet pices on 4 corners of tarp
7. Pull car battery and trickle charge once a month
8. put on car cover

Walk away (cry slowly)

I've been puting cars in storage for winters since the late 70's and never had a problem
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,170 Posts
TRMN8TR said:
Definately DO NOT start the car unless you intend on letting it reach operating temps. You will only create condensation in the motor and exhaust system.

Follow the steps dcranford posted:

Here is my checklist

1. Wash/Wax/Polish
2. Interior clean/detail
3. Change oil
4. Fill Gas tank with non-oxygenated fuel add Sta-Bil
5. put down tarp on floor of garage
6. Put carpet pices on 4 corners of tarp
7. Pull car battery and trickle charge once a month
8. put on car cover

Walk away (cry slowly)

I've been puting cars in storage for winters since the late 70's and never had a problem
I should have mentioned the normal operating temperature thing. :doh:
I remember when I had my 86GT, work was only a couple miles away, car never reached normal operating temp, went through a lot of exhaust systems that way.. anyway,
sounds like good advice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Hey Guys,

-I just got my '06 GT Covertible and I am stoked! But for winter storage......what should I do???

-My car doesn't need a wax job since I got it Teflon Coated which is AWESOME and of course I would wash the car before putting it into the garage.

-What is a really good breathable cover For indoor and outdoor storage?? I want to use it in my garage for the winter and use it outside when it's nice and also so the birds don't sh*t all over it.

-I was thinking of doing the following......

=Wash the Car
=Store in Garage w/Car Cover ( what is a really good one )
=Start the Car every week and let it run for like 15 minutes or so to reach normal engine temp.

-Now should I still have the battery TRICKLE CHARGED even though I will be starting it every week????

-Should I use the Sta-Bil or some other product even though I will be starting it up everyweek????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Sorry guys for this question later in the game.

I plan to drive my beater for the winter as well. Unfortunatley my garage is an undersized one car that wont fit my new pony (addition to the house before I bought it).

So my problem is while I think I am doing the car well by not driving it on NJ's salt covered roads all winter. I am torn as to whether I should cover it up in the d-way or leave it exposed and just try to keep it clean throughout the winter???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
Somebody posted to pull the battery and trickle charge it. There are trickle chargers that you can connect while the battery is still in the car. I seem to recall problems owners had with their computers when they disconnected their '03 -'04 Mustangs. Obviously your clock/radio stations, but I thought I heard of problems with their Alarm / keyless settings also alot of them got Check engine lights on in the Spring time......
It might just be easier to leave the bat in the car and since most trickle chargers are about 4" or so you can just leave it in the engine compartment. If you have a larger charger, I'm sure the leads can be routed from under the car so you can close the hood and cover.
As far as the carpet at 4 corners. I am assuming you are doing that to keep a space between the cover and the surface of the car. The space is smart because you cover will likely get some condensation, and any dust that settles on the car can be pulled through by the condensation. Especially on cheaper covers. The dust or particles can then make it to your cars surface.:sosad:
I find it better to roll a couple of terry cloth beach towels and wad those up at the high points and corners. I have no need for such towels until well after spring and make some room in the linen closet for the wife to hide my Xmas gifts...:laughlitt Supercharger?????????????????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Thanks to everyone's input on the matter of storage for winter.:worship

I have a garage that is half-heated and half not. But the wife gets the heated side, so Hidalgo goes into the cold side.

I have put four, 4x8' sheets of plywood down (16' x 8') and plan to park him on the plywood, which covers paving stone floor. On top of all the other suggestions I've read here, I have two other comments:

1) I'm going to throw the contents of a box of moth balls onto the plywood, to deter mice.

2) Has anyone considered putting the car on those "Canadian Tire" jackstands to take the pressure off the wheels? I have four of them, and thought about this...BUT: where do you position them, given the axle profile of the car (2005 GT V8)?

Any thoughts on this one would be greatly appreciated! I'm keeping him out for at least one more week, before putting him to :sleeping: for winter,:santa and plan to leave the battery IN, due to the alarm system, etc.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top