Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok folks, I have bought my wife a black 2005 GT. I have a white truck and a yellow drag car so I am curious as to what you guys are using to care for the black paint. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I am a 100% Mopar man and never dreamed I would own a ford, but I have to tell you, this car rocks. Its now my duty to keep it clean so help me out.

thanks folks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello! i'm using turtle wax black in my shop and it seems to really work well on black cars.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Meguiar's NXT works great on any color and gives it a great sshine it doesn't last as long as the Gold Class but it makes the car feel sooo smooth.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Meat said:
nice, safe, short lived Carnuba wax. No extra crap that may or may not harm the finish.
Gold Class . . . Don't like the weird sheen NXT has, doesn't look as deep.

That said, Gold Class is tough to work with -I usually have to apply it 2x to get it even.

·
Registered
353 Posts
LOL there seems to be as many opinions on what type of wax to use as there are guys willing to respond to the question.

That is for this post as well as all the others I've ever read concerning wax. Most major name brands are mentioned in each post.

My conclusion: User's choice. But, make it a name brand. Don't go for the most expensive on the shelf, or the cheapest. Make sure you have a clean, cool (low temp) surface to work on. I always shoot for a Turtle Wax product myself, and have had no bad luck so far.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I do 2-3 cars per weekend as a paid hobby. I've found one of the better products for black and dark colored paint is Wolfgang Sealant (found online at several vendors).

Very easy to apply, let haze, and remove with a microfiber.

Here is a Black Porsche 911 that I did a while back. The car had tons of swirls from improper washing and waxing. I prepped the surface with Meguars #83, followed by Wolfgang Sealant.

Generally a sealant will outlast a carnuba wax, so you can expect some decent life out of the shine and slickness.

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts
YOu can get a really great shine if you put a couple of layers of a pure carnuba over a good quality cleaner/sealant. I use Klasse followed by 2-3 coats of P21S Carnuba. Love the results.

See my gallery for pics

·
Registered
28 Posts
I personaly use Zymol, its made from all natural things like bannanas coconuts, etc, and keeps the paint nice and lubed. It has a great shine, is easy to rub out and it smells like suntan lotion when applying:) The meguires gold class and NTX is good but The best I have ever used is Zaino its a multi step process that will have your car looking SOOOOO shiny in no time! it is pricey though, but lasts awile. Its kinda confusing but basicly you use the Z-5 pro if you have swirls marks or scratches, then the Z2 Pro to polish it and it protects it. Then use Z-6 detaler spray in between keep that wet look, this stuff is amazing.

Also they have ZFX accelorator drops that you add to the polish's to speed up cure times, or if you'd rather you can apply Z1 polish lok first then apply those listed above...kind confusin but there link explains it better.

a pictures worth 1000 words

·
Banned
56 Posts
go buy some dupont rubbing compound compound it by hand should take alot of swirls out of black paint they dupont sells exta cut rubbing compound used with a white foam pad on a buffer then they use a black pad for the finishing glaze. i woulnt recommend putting a buffer on the car hence it will leave swirl marks if you have the rpm too high id rather do a black car by hand and see how much i could get out and if it was bad i might put the buffer on it. then i would hit it with dupont finishing glaze after that. then a couple coats of wax good luck.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
turtle wax ice is the way to go

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Consumer reports just ran a report on car waxes a few months back.
They looked at shine, durability and ease of application and removal.
The winner was Turtle Wax Pure Carnuba...not regular turtle wax, the bottles look almost the same, but the one that says "Pure Carnuba" on it is the one you want.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Agree with 06hoss. I've used "Pure Carnuba" and it works very well....... My $0.02

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
My black '06 came with a "sealant" already applied. After a few weeks I noticed the sealant was effective: it protected everything that was on the surface when it was applied, including the shine and a million or so water spots.

I've tried a few products, but not found one that makes water spot removal simple or easy. Any suggestions?

Mr Friendly Local Ford parts counterman sold me a bottle of Mr Ford's best polish. It seems to work good and easy. Why should I change?

The Black Mustang Club Forums include a "Detailing Black Cars" sticky. Lots of good info there; maybe too much.
Black Car Detailing - Black Mustang Club Forums

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Ok folks, I have bought my wife a black 2005 GT. I have a white truck and a yellow drag car so I am curious as to what you guys are using to care for the black paint. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I am a 100% Mopar man and never dreamed I would own a ford, but I have to tell you, this car rocks. Its now my duty to keep it clean so help me out.

thanks folks
I have a black '05 GT, and I use Mothers for the most part. I have also use the Zaino but that is pricey. I have my black paint looking like wet oil, so I do feel your pain. For polishes less expensive than Zaino I have found that either Mothers or Meguires consistently provides very nice results.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wax is good...but "DO NOT USE TERRY CLOTH TOWELS" to put on or off..Micro-fibre towels or even old soft t-shirts...You dont wanna get swirl marks while trying to wax the surface... RD6

·
Registered
38 Posts
turtle wax ice is the way to go
I'll have to 2nd that!

I'll normally do the stang twice a year Mothers caranuba and after each wash i'll spray some Turtle Wax Ice on until i get to the next real wax.

Mothers has a Clay out thats really good. I did a small area of my car about a month ago.....Glasslike finish, good stuff.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
cleaner wax by meguires

·
Registered
55 Posts
I use meguiar's color rx wax. it works awesome.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.