Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a thread about this before but I think I asked the wrong question and never got the right answer.

I have a big wax stain on my racing stripe which is the stock factory material. I used the wrong cloth for drying or something... my bad completely.

It has been there for probably 3 months now. I cant seem to get it off. It has left a large milky looking spot... (1.5 feet long, 6 inches deep.)

Is there anyway to get wax off of plastic or the vynal stripe or am I screwed? (I used liquid glass BTW)

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
947 Posts
Try a pink eraser?

·
Registered
115 Posts
have you tried a damp rag and some serious elbow grease? I've had Turtle wax caked on spots like the rubber around doors for a while and then just scrubbed for like 30 minutes and it finally came off.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
have you tried a damp rag and some serious elbow grease? I've had Turtle wax caked on spots like the rubber around doors for a while and then just scrubbed for like 30 minutes and it finally came off.
Seems like a long time to scrub... im afraid of hurting it more.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'd take it to a detail shop then if you're worried about damage. One with a job guarantee so you needn't worry.

·
Registered
947 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Just don't take it to any detail shops in the Washington, DC area.

Apparently they can't get white stains out of anything.

**insert rimshot here** :kooky:

·
Registered
159 Posts
I would try one of the products for restoring black trim, such as Meguiars Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer or Mothers Back to Black. These have always worked for me when I get wax on black trim. -Thomas

·
Registered
459 Posts
I would try one of the products for restoring black trim, such as Meguiars Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer or Mothers Back to Black. These have always worked for me when I get wax on black trim. -Thomas
Try and keep it off the paint, but these products are definitely worth a shot.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ill try the pink erraser tonight then move on to different products.

·
Registered
180 Posts
This is silly, but try it.

Peanut Butter.

Rub it on the wax'd part, and use a toothbrush to scrub it in a little bit.

I have gotten wax on my matte plastic before as well as my matte blackout vinyl on my CS package (it goes around the faux gas cap) , and the only thing that ever took it out was peanut butter.

I wouldn't recommend using Isopropyl alcohol on Vinyl Stripes or plastic at all. It will discolor it, especially if you start to scrub.

I actually just got a buttload of wax on my damn mirror before I took my car to carlisle and it cured for 48 hrs without me knowing, I put some peanut butter on it and rubbed it in, let it sit for a while, and then the natural oils in the peanut butter seemed to remove the wax. YMMV but I would try it a few times :)

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Magic Eraser works wonders! Well, that's what my detail shop told me.

But why would you have a white streak on your trim/flat back decals???????? If you use the right products, you will NEVER have a white streak on them. I use 3 layers of polysynthetic wax, which does not leave white streaks on flat black/rubber/plastic surfaces.

http://www.blackfireusa.com/354-Blackfire-Wet-Diamond-All-Finish-Paint-Protection-16oz.aspx

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G12718

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Pink_Quick_Detail_Spray_Made_By_CG_Yes_p/wac_102_16.htm

After every wash, I do a silicone blade wipe, quick detail spray and dry the car with a dragon fiber cloth. Every 2-3 car washes I will do a NXT wax, about 2 times a year I will do a clay, sealant, wax, then quick detail spray (be sure to allow time for each to cure before doing the next wax layer).

·
Registered
345 Posts
You might try Meguir's quick detailer. I use it on all the decals and it gives them a soft sheen, not super shiny, also keeps them from fading.

Attachments

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pink erraser didn't work. I will try the peanut butter and alcohol next.....

·
Registered
228 Posts
I will try the peanut butter and alcohol next.....
Sounds like my Friday night.

I'm picking up my car later this afternoon and will be giving it a good wax this weekend. I bought a bottle of the Blackfire Wet Diamond. That stuff won't stain my plastic or vinyl stripes, correct? I know a lot of you guys use that stuff, so hopefully you can tell me.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Just wax the rest of the decal and it will all match. LOL

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I wouldn't recommend using Isopropyl alcohol on Vinyl Stripes or plastic at all. It will discolor it, especially if you start to scrub.
Funny you mention that because professional decal installers use a solution with a diluted Isopropyl alcohol sprayed directly on the decal in order to correctly install the decal where they want it without bubbles, then work the bubbles out with that solution and a tool.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
180 Posts
Funny you mention that because professional decal installers use a solution with a diluted Isopropyl alcohol sprayed directly on the decal in order to correctly install the decal where they want it without bubbles, then work the bubbles out with that solution and a tool.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
That's news to me. Every decal place I have heard of at least for vinyl uses a soapy solution, similar to dish soap and water to put the decals on. They even say when doing vinyl decals yourself to just use soapy water to put them on.

if they use Isopropyl Alcohol, it must be in an extremely LOW concentration, its a solvent, therefore it breaks down glue/adhesive. Also, they dont sit there with it and scrub the same area on the vinyl to try and remove a stain. If you hit it with straight isopropyl alcohol it will discolor, try it if you don't believe me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.