Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 26 of 26 Posts
Anyone have a suggestion about convertible top care? I've been using Ragg Top cleaner and protectant for 5 years and have been satisfied... Holds up well and after pulling my 00 baby next to an identical 00 that had never done any sealing on the top... Man was I impressed! Now with the 05 GT Vert... I'm just wondering if any of you guys have come across anything else or if I should stick w/ the Ragg Top brand.

I've never heard of the Clay bar thing... guess I need to invest in one! Thanks for the tips!

I own a new Black Mustang GT and 98 Black Ranger... For all you Deatailers out there I got a Teflon Coat that they sell you a the Dealshit...
I know it does last for 5 years. Is it basically a Wax job?

I was thinking of waxing both cars using the following products and steps. Please lend me any advice you may have.

I WILL BE using Mothers Products in this order:
clay,
PowerPolish,
Reflections Car Wax,
and Reflections Top Coat

From what I heard the Zaino Wax is great for dark
colored cars.I use the Meguires Gold Class Wax and
my car always turns out great.I also use the Meguires
NXT Wax on my car also.Meguires is a great quality wax
and I like useing it.

SMP said:
I own a new Black Mustang GT and 98 Black Ranger... For all you Deatailers out there I got a Teflon Coat that they sell you a the Dealshit...
I know it does last for 5 years. Is it basically a Wax job?

I was thinking of waxing both cars using the following products and steps. Please lend me any advice you may have.

I WILL BE using Mothers Products in this order:
clay,
PowerPolish,
Reflections Car Wax,
and Reflections Top Coat
Anyone that tells you that a wax lasts any longer than a year MAXIMUM is full of B.S. especially if you live near an ocean or where salt is used in the winter time. The teflon wax is great and easy to use but does NOT last 5 years. Many articles I have read state to wax seasonally, at minimum to maintain the paint. IMHO, since I have managed a full serve wash and detail for six years... You can't ever wax too much but if you wax less than a MINIMAL once or twice per year no matter where you live, with whatever product you may have then you are not protecting the paint to the best of your ability.
... do what you want, just my two cents

Got wax???

I'm sold on the claybar concept. But I'm confused about what *type* of wax to use. Seems there are 3 general categories (I'm not so interested in specifc brand discussion)

1) paint sealant
2) polymer based wax
3) carnuba based wax

The mustang manual says to use Motorcraft Paint Sealant 2x per year, then points to Motorcraft Premum Liquid wax (ZC-53-A) which is polymer I think.

Here are my questions
- If you choose the Paint Sealer route, do you also need to wax?
- Which *type* of wax for this particular paint (which I think is clearcoat, right?)? Carnuba based or polymer based?

Also, I have heard that dishwashing detergent (like Dawn) is good to strip any base wax one might have, but the Mustang manual specifically says not to use liquid detergent due to possible discoloration or spotting. Any comment on that (I know you should not use Dawn as your general wash)?

Thanks,
jq

For the general population, it is not necessary to "strip" the old wax off unless you have a good coat of wax and wish to polish and then wax. IMHO Any type of paint protection could state that the product is a "sealant" it seals out uv rays, industrial fallout, etc. I would recomment polymer based products because they are more duarble than pure carnauba waxes. Keep in mind that carnauba is an organic product that comes (usually) from the carnauba palm tree native to Brazil. The best advice is to use what you like and as often as possible.
...my two cents

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.