Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ordering my first DA Polisher and I'm just wondering how you use yours? I've watched a lot of youtube videos. It seems that they use the polisher to apply the wax, but how do they remove it? The only video I saw wiped the wax off with a microfiber towel after it sat for a while. Is that how it's done? I always thought you also used the polisher to remove the wax and buff it to a shine? Or does the extra shine come just from how the polisher applies the wax? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
114 Posts
What type of polisher do you have? A fixed rotation like a Flex 3401vrg or a non-fixed like a Porter Cable 7424XP?

On the non-fixed type you can lay a microfiber towel over the pad for removal.

I use Adams stuff... Their web site has good how-to videos that show how to do all sorts of stuff, including wax removal with DA Buffer.

Adam's Premium Car Care - Cleaners, Waxes and Polishes Made in the USA

·
Registered
478 Posts
I've used a DA to apply wax before...it seemed a bit quicker than the old fashioned way, plus easier on the muscles. It can be messy though. I tried removing the wax with one too, but never quite got it figured out. I'm guessing I had the wrong bonnet or something. Now I just do it all by hand.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Listen to RAWBEEF. He knows Adam's has good stuff. Whether you use their stuff or not, watch this video:

How To Use Porter Cable Video | Car Care | Detailing Cars

This shows the Porter Cable, but there is one there that shows the Flex.

You use the machine to APPLY it, and wipe off by hand. If you are only using wax, there is really no need to use a machine. The machine is more for polishing, which is done after clay bar but before sealant or wax.
Wax is just wipe on, leave on, wipe off. Polish has to get "buffed" in it do it's magic on the fine scratches. I use my porter cable to apply sealant and glaze, then wipe off. I apply wax by hand.

Check their vids out and let us know what kind of DA you are using.
RC

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the great information. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out. This is all new to me. I'm looking at either ordering the Meguiar's DA or the Porter Cable 7424XP. I guess I'm technically using a sealant, not a wax. I'm using Meguiar's NXT 2.0. So I guess I should be using the polisher with that, then. When do you need to polish? My car is still new, so it looks good to me still. Is that something you just do regularly?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Thanks for all the great information. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out. This is all new to me. I'm looking at either ordering the Meguiar's DA or the Porter Cable 7424XP. I guess I'm technically using a sealant, not a wax. I'm using Meguiar's NXT 2.0. So I guess I should be using the polisher with that, then. When do you need to polish? My car is still new, so it looks good to me still. Is that something you just do regularly?
If that is your picture in the avatar, then Im guessing your car is black? All the stages are polishers..think of the severe swirl remover as rough polish, and the last stage as fine polish. It's like wet-sanding...you gradually work up to finer papers to remove scratches left by the previous. The fine polish should give the darker cars a better "depth of shine" to the clear. What I would do if I were you is next time you clay, use a fine polish on a small area..maybe just the roof.. If you think it made an improvement, do the whole car. If not just skip till next time and go right to your sealant. For you dark car, I would for sure use a Carnauba wax as your final step. On my Silver car, the Polish and wax do not upgrade the appearance as much as it would on the darker deeper colors.

GL
RC

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, RC. Those are some great tips. I'll give that a try.

S

·
0 Posts
I use one and have for sometime. The #1 reason have problems with these and give up is because they put too much wax on the bonnet. A little go's a long ways. It's not a race to get finished. Plan a whole afternoon.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Out of curiosity, what DA have you ordered?
I've picked up the Porter Cable 7424XP and have never looked back.

The easier part is applying the product because the DA does 70% of the work.
The other 30% is within the removal...oh man the removal of the product.

For example, removing Meguiar's 105? There are several threads of people giving it up because of dusting and removal. Literally google: giving up on M105.
lol, sad but true.

I've had great success, but in order for me to get there with removing Wax/Polishes/Compounds/QDs came with a lot of trial and error, a lot of money gone down the drain buying towels specifically for the removal purpose.

There are such things as bonnets that can be used to remove the product, but I'm not willing to try it. Maybe next year, on a test car. Best to do the removal by hand. After spending a lot of money on department store towels and even Zaino $40 towels...I couldn't find one that did a very good job until I found the Cookie Monster Buffing Towel. Silly name, but it provides results.

I have about 20 of these towels and is inexpensive.
Its removed the following with ease:
AutoGym Wax (Don't buy it; back in my noob days)
Meguiar's 105 Compound
Meguiar's 205 Polish
Zaino ZPC Swirl remover
Zaino Z2 Polish
Zaino Z5 Polsih
Zaino Z6 QD
Zaino Z8 Finishing Spray

I get them from my local supplier in Canada EShine, link here, but I think you can find them all over the web:
eShine Canada: The Cookie Monster Buffing Towel V2.0
The Cookie Monster Buffing Tow | Auto Obsessed

Sadly, its out of stock everywhere, I'm not surprised.

Try it out, even if it means spending $7.00 on one, its not bad.
If you're having a hard time finding it, I can send you one from Canada, just cover the base cost and shipping :)

I may be new here, but I don't mind helping out!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went with Meguiar's after reading a lot of reviews. I haven't gotten a chance to use it, yet, but I'm really looking forward to it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I love Meguiars 105 and 205.....use it all the time...I've got a Port Cable I use on my car and a Makita Orbital I use on the Gel Coat on my boat (gel coat is a lot tougher)........for your mustang I would do a good two bucket wash with a foaming machine then I would clay with a good detailing spray....then I would polish with PC........then wax with PC....your choice of product.....my Porter Cable is a life saver....had a chance to work with a flex 3401 and found it a lot faster than the porter cable so I'm considering one of those.......good luck...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts