Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If im not mistaken the 05 Gt is set up at a 52 front and 48 rear ...if this is right given the wieght of the gt auto at appx 3445 lbs ..to get the 50/50 set up ..( for better handling in the upcoming winter months ) I will need to add 70lbs of wieght in the back...Am I doing this right? Thanks for the Help..:)

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
I read somewhere that it was 53/47. No matter, That weight should help a little, I remember those days with my 86GT it was more front heavy, something like 57/43. In the snow it wasn't pretty but I got around, you have to go real easy on the gas, being a rear wheel drive dosen't help at all in the snow, :happyhapp that's why we have the allocation problems up here, the southern states are the ones who buy the most.

·
Registered
23 Posts
bobrickert said:
If im not mistaken the 05 Gt is set up at a 52 front and 48 rear ...if this is right given the wieght of the gt auto at appx 3445 lbs ..to get the 50/50 set up ..( for better handling in the upcoming winter months ) I will need to add 70lbs of wieght in the back...Am I doing this right? Thanks for the Help..:)
Yup, you sure are. I got 68.9. I'm thinking even more rear weight bias would help in winter driving. I would start by possibly trying to REMOVE weight from the front as opposed to adding weight. Adding weight just sounds wrong.:happyhapp

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
StangOwner2B said:
Yup, you sure are. I got 68.9. I'm thinking even more rear weight bias would help in winter driving. I would start by possibly trying to REMOVE weight from the front as opposed to adding weight. Adding weight just sounds wrong.:happyhapp
What should go first, the engine? :shocked:

G

·
It is 52/ 48 as I recall.

Adding 70 lbs to rear trunk for "handling" which I interpret as "cornering" is not good. Any weight increase will also negate the acceleration aspect and the overall cornering. You are better off leaving it alone or going with an after market suspension tune kit (lowering, stiffer springs, etc).
Now if you are talking snow traction, I would get a beater for the snow, imo.
A cheap used front wheel drive car with studs on fronts is the win.
If that is out of the budget, then yes, sandbags in the trunk will give you better snow TRACTION with more weight over the rears giving you better coefficient of static/ dynamic friction. I would suggest STUDDED snow tires for best compromise.
I shudder to think of a 2005 GT snow plowing on fat rear stock tires.

·
Registered
23 Posts
pcfrisch said:
What should go first, the engine? :shocked:
Nah, I figure that should be on the bottom of the list.:winks

Mebbe a lighter radiator, air cleaner housing/assembly. Stuff like that. From what I've read, and have sadly yet to experience, that engine is a keeper!:drool:

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
You are only going to have to worry about the sand bags if you have a lot of snow, I don't think you are going to be cornering like your driving in the Indy 500 when there is snow on the ground anyway. Some states, like mine (Michigan) does not allow studded tires.

·
Registered
134 Posts
StangOwner2B said:
Nah, I figure that should be on the bottom of the list.:winks

Mebbe a lighter radiator, air cleaner housing/assembly. Stuff like that. From what I've read, and have sadly yet to experience, that engine is a keeper!:drool:
Or move the engine to the rear seat where it belongs. Why should the GT40 guys have all the fun? :winks

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
R3dF1r3 said:
It is 52/ 48 as I recall.

then yes, sandbags in the trunk will give you better snow TRACTION with more weight over the rears giving you better coefficient of static/ dynamic friction.
The coefficient doesnt change, just the mass of the car. So the Normal force increases, given the same coesfficient... traction increases.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Kyle F said:
The coefficient doesnt change, just the mass of the car. So the Normal force increases, given the same coesfficient... traction increases.
Oh cheeze wiz, do we really need an engineering lesson? I drove a stang in the snow lots of times, it snows here in the winter, it's not great, added some sand, helped but still it's not great.
If you have a lot of snow, don't drive it in the snow or get a winter car.

G

·
Kyle F said:
coefficient is dependant on the 2 mediums in contact imo, snow has a different one than dry pavement...

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have GOT to get a winter car! And soon. It gets all the way down to 65 (60 with wind chill) here in Los Angeles. All the amazing women lose the mini skirts and put on warm and cozy short shorts. We all have our crosses to bear. Think I'll drive up the pacific coast highway at sunset to Malibu and see if I can console myself.:eyepoppin

·
Registered
153 Posts
Not sure about the dynamics, but, you have the weight figured wrong to get to 50/50. If you are simply adding weight, it would take 140 lbs in the rear. If you are adjusting weight, you would need to move 70 lbs from the front to the rear. Personally, I'm glad mine will never see snow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts