Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to take weight off the nose of a 2003 mustang. 1) Battery relocation (that's an easy one). But what about removing the supercharger system and replacing with twin turbos? Does anyone have an idea what this is worth in weight? 3) ? What would you recommend for a street driven car? K-frame, fiberglass hood? Thanks

·
Registered
712 Posts
ide stay with the s/c but maybe look into corbon fiber fenders, cabon fiber hood, lighter suspension components, aluminum radiator, maybe a tubular rad support. theres plenty of ways to save weight.
i would stay away from fiberglass unless your sure its a very good product from a reputible company because ive seen sevaral get small cracks on daily drivers.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
From Bob's site....

03/04' WEIGHT REDUCTION
Spare tire...................................-26.4 lbs
Jack/crow bar..............................-6.6 lbs
Trunk pad...................................-6.0 lbs!
Mott bar (under diff).....................-7.8 lbs
Front sway bar/brackets................-12.4 lbs
Rear seat bottom.........................-11.0 lbs
Rear seat back.............................-25.6 lbs
Rear seat head rest.......................-5.6 lbs
High flow catted midpipe................-22.6 lbs! (stocker=36.0, High flow=13.4)
Odyssey battery/bracket................-22.2 lbs (stocker=37.6, Odyssey=15.4)
Front 3.5" ProStars w/ ET Fronts......-49.6 lbs (stock chrome w/ F1's=49.8, Skinnies/spacers=25.0 each)
Rear Diamond R 16" w/ ET Streets...-10.8 lbs (stock chrome w/ F1's=49.8, Diamond Racing Wheels/ET Streets=44.4 each)
UPR K member kit.........................-65.0 lbs
Front Passenger Seat.....................-43.0 lbs

Total Reduction....................... - 314.6 lbs.

To further reduce the amount of weight on the Cobra, the following items may be removed:

Rear seatbelts: 5 lbs
Supercharger pulley guard: 2.0lbs
Mach460 head unit: 5 lbs
Mach460 rear enclosure w/amps: 22 lbs
Mach460 front speakers: 5 lbs
Front driver seat: 62 lbs (replace with lightweight seat)
Front passenger seat: 43 lbs (replace with lightweight seat or just delete)
Lighter wheels: (maybe 25 lbs. for the street and 70 lbs. for the track)

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
Doesn't it already have a fiberglass hood? The seats are the number one easiest way to ditch alot of weight and still have a streetable car(I have Sparcos in mine, you can literally feel the car get faster without the power seats)...headers are another good swap from a weight point of view, the cast iron is really heavy...besides that why not increase the power of the engine? Get a ported blower and a race tune for big gains.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
The stock hood and trunk is a fiberglass composite. I know from 95 up to 04 they are the fiberglass composite then 05 they got the aluminum hoods. alot of people think their hood is metal and i tell them to stick a magnet to it. doesn't stick. My stock 95 hood was dropped while i was doing a hood swap and it was a fiberglass composite.

·
Registered
104 Posts
if you are going to rebuild the engine go with an aluminum block. full tube suspension will take alot of. i was thinking alot of the differance in wait with the suppercharger and twin turbo. the super charger sits on top of the engine and is going to rais the center of gravity. not good for track racing but dont see how it would affect a drag car. the HP performance twin turbo put the turbos in the front bumper skin. it looks great is cool and makes for a realy clean engine bay. but that is alot of wait on the front end that is way over your axel center line. but good for under hood temps. there are other kits that put them in front of the engine but behind the radiator. that is almost on top of the center line. i dont think it looks as good and higher under hood temps but its not on the nose and sits lower than a supercharger. its a hard call to make. ask people that have these kits if the know the wait of there car for the front and rear axels. what do you want the car for drag or track? if you could find a turbo kit that puts them right next to the trany i think thats what i would go for. kinda like the new kit for the GT 500. i thought the car all ready had an aluminum radiator. and i wouldnt take the sway bar of a street driven car. dont like the street cars that run skinnys. i dont consider it a street car if it handles worse than stock!!!

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
A Vortech supercharger doesn't go on top of the engine

·
Registered
104 Posts
true that should put the waight a little lower on the car. i know they are a great way to go but i realy dont like the way they look but thats just me.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
The stock hood and trunk is a fiberglass composite. I know from 95 up to 04 they are the fiberglass composite then 05 they got the aluminum hoods. alot of people think their hood is metal and i tell them to stick a magnet to it. doesn't stick. My stock 95 hood was dropped while i was doing a hood swap and it was a fiberglass composite.

Mines Metal!

It has a little bit of rust just starting on it from the inside!!
Their Metal or atleast mine is! It's alright though. If you go with a good Auto body guy how "knows" his paint. Not the guy that says he does because we have all seen them!!!!:D They'll add a good amount of flex to the paint. The flex stops the paint from cracking under high stress!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.