Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all track guys, will adding weights in my trunk help improve my 1/4?

J

G

·
0 Posts
No.

If traction is your problem, there are better ways to fix it. Tires, rear suspension would be a better place to start.

·
Registered
714 Posts
it can.

the guy I bought my Shelby from ran the best times/60s with 150 lbs of sand in the spare tire well.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I'll go with grimace on this.... You have an almost 2 ton car.... sure seems to me there would be better ways to "get weight" over the rear axle.....:bigthumbsup Now if you have 800-1000 HP, that's a different story...

EDIT: Slightly off topic, but your sig says no mufflers, are you running an OA pipe, or are you dumping out of the X...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lca

I'll go with grimace on this.... You have an almost 2 ton car.... sure seems to me there would be better ways to "get weight" over the rear axle.....:bigthumbsup Now if you have 800-1000 HP, that's a different story...

EDIT: Slightly off topic, but your sig says no mufflers, are you running an OA pipe, or are you dumping out of the X...
I am planning on a relocation bracket ect to get more grip. This will be a temporary fix for this Friday. I am still having traction issues even with my DR's on. For example on the highway I can drop into second around 50 mph and burn spin them into third. Last week the track was like ice and I would like to dip into the 11's

I am running a catted x pipe that dumps behind the rear axel. No mufflers. Sounds like a Nascar:gringreen

J

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hey all track guys, will adding weights in my trunk help improve my 1/4?

J
It's an old-school method of improving weight distribution and driving weight over the rear tires. It was popular in the 60's and 70's when tire and suspension technologies had not caught up to horsepower levels at the time. Nowadays, tire and suspension tech is much better so adding weights is an afterthought. Instead of adding weight, why not just relocate your battery to the trunk and add some suspension mods + fatter tires?

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I am running a catted x pipe that dumps behind the rear axel. No mufflers. Sounds like a Nascar:gringreen

J

There is 50#'s right there..... You can always try to add some weight, but I really think removing weight(from the front, not the rear) will help more than adding weight... How wide are your 15" MT's?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Drag Radials

There is 50#'s right there..... You can always try to add some weight, but I really think removing weight(from the front, not the rear) will help more than adding weight... How wide are your 15" MT's?
8" :blushed I guess fatter tires would increase grip... I will probably go with a slick after these

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
8" :blushed I guess fatter tires would increase grip... I will probably go with a slick after these
I know there are a lot more variables for traction of a tire than it's width, but google tells me I'm running
285 millimeters = 11.2204724 inches

·
Registered
3,094 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
G

·
0 Posts

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Agree Grimace, a 8" MT is in between a 195/205 width..... I would think this size tire would be better suited for a civic, not a 500 HP RWD BEAST..... Amazons Fox Body probably weighs a half ton less than J's whip, and appears to have no problem getting some decent traction(nice pic).....

G

·
0 Posts
Agree Grimace, a 8" MT is in between a 195/205 width..... I would think this size tire would be better suited for a civic, not a 500 HP RWD BEAST..... Amazons Fox Body probably weighs a half ton less than J's whip, and appears to have no problem getting some decent traction(nice pic).....

8" wide WHEEL.

Might have had some gaps in communication here unless DarkHorse really has 8" wide tires which would be very strange. I have 15x8" Racestar wheels just like the OP, but with 275/60/15 MT drag radials on them and there is no lack of grip. I was actually scared to break my stock driveshaft that I was turning slower 60' times than my best street tire run.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
If that's the case then we have a failure to communicate:eek:hknow. However, MT does offer several 8" options for 15" rims....

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The rim on my car 15x8 & the tire size is 275/60/15

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
ahhh... interesting.... What is your 60' times?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ahhh... interesting.... What is your 60' times?
We will find out Friday night. I have not been to the track with these tires

J

1 - 20 of 27 Posts