Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on carsoup today looking at fox bodies and I noticed in this pic that you can actually shift into 2nd gear. Mine goes right from 1st to D. Is this car unusual or is mine?

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
yep i've never seen one like that before, but i do know you still can shift into second with the one we have. i wonder whats with that shifter? Sure looks factory to me....but maybe not?

·
Registered
912 Posts
is it possible thats a c4? i dont know how the c4's are from the factory but the one my dad has in his car goes p-r-n-1-2-3 its a manual reversed valve body in it, but not sure if you could select 2nd without a diffrent valvebody.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Was that a v6 to v8 swap? Because I have a shifter like that in my car and it was at one time a v6 with a C4 and the C4 is still in it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ive never seen one with 2nd gear. I Had a 92 that I installed a B&M hammer shifter, it is a ratchet shifter in which you could ratchet and hold in 2nd gear.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
even if it was a C4 I dont know of any 87-93 mustang that had a shifter like that. Im just assuming the ones before 87 were different, but regardless i thought all of the autos were AOD transmissions.

·
Registered
45,992 Posts
That's not the stock shifter for that year model. The stock AOD shifter for that year went P-R-N-OD-D-1. The shifter won't give the trans a second gear selection option, that'd take an internal modification to the trans for that. Whoever has that is lying if they claim it's a stock shifter and it allows 2nd gear selection. They've gotten a different shifter and if the trans does have a 2nd gear selection, it's a full manual valvebody in it.

·
Registered
651 Posts
We had a late 80s bronco that had that same setup with the same looking handle, gotta be a swap or something.

·
Registered
155 Posts
is it possible thats a c4? i dont know how the c4's are from the factory but the one my dad has in his car goes p-r-n-1-2-3 its a manual reversed valve body in it, but not sure if you could select 2nd without a diffrent valvebody.
A c4 is only a three speed.

·
Registered
202 Posts
My 89 2.3 has the 2nd gear selection maybe it's because it has the ALD4 and not the AOD?

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My 89 2.3 has the 2nd gear selection maybe it's because it has the ALD4 and not the AOD?
That could be it. I've tried to find information about that trans but didnt have any luck.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Its either the a4ld trans and shifter or a modified aod with the a4ld shifter, would be my guess. Or after market but mine aftremarket looks "factory" and that looks way more factory than mine.

·
Registered
797 Posts
If your trying to manually lock second gear in your car which does not have the option on the indicator for second gear just start out in first and when your ready to shift into second move the shifter into drive and when the car shifts into second then manually move the shifter back into first gear and this will lock second gear until you are ready for third at which point just move the shifter back into drive.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
If your trying to manually lock second gear in your car which does not have the option on the indicator for second gear just start out in first and when your ready to shift into second move the shifter into drive and when the car shifts into second then manually move the shifter back into first gear and this will lock second gear until you are ready for third at which point just move the shifter back into drive.

i have been told this screws up the AOD..and i did this to the first 2 aods i had in my 93

i saw a shifter like this today in a 4cyl. they are real. ive also seen a few bronco II and rangers with this shifter, but im not sure what car they came in from the factory.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well looks like the mystery is solved

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.