Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys:

I have a stupid question, but I don’t know so I’m asking. I like to drive my car in track mode. The car always shifts for me. Sometimes I use the paddle shifters to raise rpm or downshift for power. The car is a ten speed auto.

I was playing with a Maserati on the highway, and I went into 6th and as soon as I hit 120 and redline, the limiter kicked in. I was able to recreate it several times. The stick was in D, not S. Triple checked. Was I in too low a gear? Why didn’t the car shift itself Like it’s supposed to do? No check engine lights, everything is fine. The fact I can recreate it, makes me pretty certain it’s user error?? Any ideas? Thanks in advance. I know it’s better to let the car just shift itself. I guess using the paddle shifters in track mode is the best use of my time? Any advice would be great appreciated. No check engine lights. No nothing. Car has a Rousch CAI and tune. It only happened in 6th gear auto. When I didn’t use paddle shifters, shifted normally. It’s so odd I had to ask…if it was in S mode, it would make sense. Maybe the tune changed something. I usually do it in lower gears and let the computer handle high speed shifts. I’m sure it’s something I’m doing.

·
Super Moderator
3,831 Posts
Welcome and thank you for joining ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules and be sure to complete your Account Settings.
We are glad you have chosen to be a part of our community and we hope you enjoy your stay.

·
Registered
10,883 Posts
. . . I went into 6th and as soon as I hit 120 and redline, the limiter kicked in. . . . . Was I in too low a gear? Why didn’t the car shift itself Like it’s supposed to do? . . . . When I didn’t use paddle shifters, shifted normally. . . .
First question is simple: yes, too low a gear, when you hit redline the rev limiter kicks in (need to upshift). since you had apparently forced the transmission into some kind of manual mode with the paddle shifter, it did not upshift for itself, it was waiting for you to do it.

Second question, why didn't the transmission upshift itself, probably relates to how it workw with the paddle shifters. I don't have that transmission so I am not sure; but I'm guessing there is some mode when you use the paddle shifters that it does not shift itself for a while after that. It should be explained in the manual; have you checked the manual yet?

Reactions: my89foxbody
1 - 3 of 3 Posts