Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At low rpms and even high gears everything sounds fine. However, when i accelerate hard or am at high rpms (past 3000-3500) I hear a weird rattling sound coming from the back passenger side of the car. Almost like the exhaust is vibrating against something. The drivers side/exhaust sounds fine, no problems there. Also it doesn't sound like pebbles in the exhaust or anything like that. The sound is especially bad in 2nd gear. I checked to see if the exhaust was loose or if one of the ties had come off but it doesn't seem like that. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Do you have the stock midpipe? It could be a bad catalytic converver. My 97 had the same symptoms and that was the fix.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have the stock midpipe? It could be a bad catalytic converver. My 97 had the same symptoms and that was the fix.
Yeah its all stock. I hope its just that. I need to get this fixed i feel like a ricer who did a ****** exhaust mod.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It sounds like it is pinging to me. What you are describing is what mine used to do a long time ago. I put in new spark plugs and it never came back. If you dont wanna spend the money then clean them off with a wire brush and see if it goes away. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
87 Posts
a couple of things to check that have rattled on my 96:
heat shield on cats
inspection cover on transmission
detonation
i had some "rattling" at high RPMs swore it sounded like loose exhaust, turned out it was pinging due to carbon buildup
good luck

·
Registered
35 Posts
ive got a 96 gt and i have 2 rattles that i cannot stop either but i do know where they are coming from. My longtubes on the passenger side are touching the body, and my clutch cable cover on my trans will not quit tapping. Both noises happen in the high end of second gear, and also if accelerating hard over about 70 miles an hour. Would check your cats or cat sheilds if you have cats. they tend to rattle sometimes, also could be a tank strap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.