Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im geting a weird sound out of my front end when i turn left at around 20mph it sounds like its on the right side of the car this makes me think its my right wheel bearing anyone have any input i gotta have this car 100% for the american muscle show in august the sound is definitely a binding sound or rubbing sound at first i thought it was tires since i put on oem cobra rims but theres no indicator that they are rubbing anywhere

·
Registered
575 Posts
Check to make sure your strut is tight up on the strut tower. I had a similar noise for a while and could never figure it out. Finally noticed that my strut was sliding around in its slots. :kooky:

·
Registered
613 Posts
Strut bushings are well known to fail in the towers. They tend to make gosh awful noises like an old spring mattress or creaky door. Had all the replaced on mu probe to find out the new strut was bad. Struts will do it if you turn the wheel at a dead stop, if its doing it while your rolling only, check lugnuts, and have you noticed if it gets louder when your turning the way to put the weight on that side? If so maybe just a $10 wheel bearing, well make that 2 might as well swap both out if it is the bearings. You can also jack that side up and spin wheel listen for a loud bearing noise and push side to side and up and down on tires to check tire rods. If it moves up and down its bearing. side to side tie rod. when you spin your wheel you will get a little bit of friction noise from bearing and brake pads.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Ah just caught the cobra rim remark. I think those are a bit wider or taller than stock stang rims? I put a set of Cobras on my 99 and she rubs pretty good on tight turns.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah just caught the cobra rim remark. I think those are a bit wider or taller than stock stang rims? I put a set of Cobras on my 99 and she rubs pretty good on tight turns.
it is making sounds when there is weight on it like when i turn left the weight is on my front right tire thats why i think its a bearing the rims and tires and chassis show no signs of rubbing im fairly sure its bearings

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
it is making sounds when there is weight on it like when i turn left the weight is on my front right tire thats why i think its a bearing the rims and tires and chassis show no signs of rubbing im fairly sure its bearings

The best way to tell if it's a wheel bearing is to jack up the whole front of the car(both wheels off the ground) and put your hands a 12 and 6 o'clock on the wheel. Move your hands in and out and check for "play" in the wheel(i.e. the top or bottom moving in or out a significant amount).

If there is a noticeable amount of play, then it is likely your wheel bearings.

Normally wheel bearings will humm or increase/decrease in sound/pitch with vehicle speed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts