Ford Mustang Forum banner

Weird sound shifting from reverse to park And an O/D question

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  FordService 
#1 ·
Hey all!

I've noticed ever since I first got the car that sometimes when you shift it from reverse to park you sort of here a metal sound clanking or something, like the auto-trans clanked into park or something. If I put it in netral then into park nothing. Only happens when going from reverse to park. Anyone notice anything like this?

Also, I noticed my car sounds different when I turn my OD off. I know it revs a bit, but the car at say 2500rpm in o/d, will sound different than the car at 2500rpm with the o/d off. Is this normal?

#2 ·
with overdrive off you only have 3 gears so yes it should sound different int 3rd vs 4th

G
#3 ·
Hey Oak Lawn Chris,

My name is Deysha from Ford Customer Service. I recommend you make an appointment with your Ford dealer so they can diagnose your vehicle and make sure there is nothing wrong. I’d also like to look into this for you. Could you please message me with your contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealer?

Deysha

#4 ·
Hey Oak Lawn Chris,

My name is Deysha from Ford Customer Service. I recommend you make an appointment with your Ford dealer so they can diagnose your vehicle and make sure there is nothing wrong. I’d also like to look into this for you. Could you please message me with your contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealer?

Deysha

Oh Okay!

Thanks. I'll get that info to you after work.

It's nothing major and I've been told it's normal (the clank into park from reverse) and happens on tons of cars.

There is a tad bit of vibration that happens at 26mph. Always at 26mph doesnt matter what RPM or gear it's in. I've been meaning to bring it to Sutton Ford and get it checked out. Before I got the 4.10 put on, it happened at 30mph. Now it's 26, weird.

Thanks again

-Chris

#5 ·
my car does it, it's the driveshaft/rear end. It's because there's force on it, if you put it in neutral (from reverse) to park, or take your foot off the brake before you throw it in park it won't do it.

It's akin to taking a car out of park on a hill, sometimes it clunks. No bigs.

#6 ·
my car does it, it's the driveshaft/rear end. It's because there's force on it, if you put it in neutral (from reverse) to park, or take your foot off the brake before you throw it in park it won't do it.

It's akin to taking a car out of park on a hill, sometimes it clunks. No bigs.

Yes exactly. I always put it in neutral first. I was told that but wanted to clear it up. Thanks.

I want to bring it in to get the vibration checked mainly. It's hardly noticable, and people with me usually dont notice unless I point it out, but I notice it everytime I hit 26mph on the way up(unless I'm accelerating fast) or down. Drives me frickin crazy:hihi:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.