Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1965 Mustang with I-6 Rear End. I bought an 8" Rear End with 3" axle tubes from a Maverick. The only problem is the Axle Perches were removed. I found an article to weld on new perches here. My leaf springs are about 2 1/2" wide.

FORDification - How to Weld Leaf Spring Axle Perches

Question 1 - Where can I find these perches to fit my axle and springs?
(I have found some, but they all vary in size, thickness, shape....etc.)

Question 2 - When welding the perches, is the 1965 Mustang axle perch angle set at 5 degrees up as in the above article?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Perches and such.

Perches can be bought at many different shops. 4wheelparts, Fleet Pride, Summit, and many dealerships. The degree should be 5 but reference your original settings.

Also the 8.8” axle and the 8” axle are not as different as so many people lead them to believe. Yes its bigger and stronger in some cases, but if you already have an 8” and you’re not buying a 9” keep the 8”. Look, for those of you that want disc brakes and have an 8” rear just find any 8.8” rear take the brakes off, go home and pull the drums off yours and put the disc plate up to the axle end. Notice that there is a slight difference in the holes about a quarter to 3/8’s of an inch ( in all four holes, you must fashion all four not just two). OK everyone this is where I’m going to just blow your minds, file that minor little difference away, or clamp the disc plate to the axle end and drill the new holes. Make sure if your drilling that you alien it correctly first. Measure twice cut once!!!!!!!!!!!!! Before you slide the axle in to bolt it in place, remove the rivet (heads) that hold the dust shield on with a 1/4” drill bit (the rest will stay in). You want to do this so the axle retainer sits flat when bolted in place ( also the axle retainer has a long side on it, it should point right) . Also you might want to get a little longer wheel studs due to the fact that your new rotors are thicker than the old drums, unless you’re still using old steal wheels then you should be ok. Guess what guys that’s it you’ve got disc brakes no more questions about this being off center ( the diff) or that being cut or welded ( the perches) it’s that simple!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It’s not rocket science as some would have you believe. All that’s left is new brake lines for some and or cleaning up. Trust me someone, no! I bet a lot of people are scratching their heads right now, but guess what I’m right it’s that simple and I’ve got the ’67 mustang to prove it! If you want the simple, cheap, not so irritating answers to these questions about your mustang, it’s all there ford made it easy, everyone else has lead us to believe otherwise. How’s that for a thirty year old self taught mechanic? With the money you’ve saved go buy yourself a locker for the 8” and some 31 spline axles. Still no welding or cutting and no drive shaft problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts