Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Transmission started the infamous supercharger whine yesterday, not too loud, but I've noticed some progression just this morning. I've got an appointment to get it checked out next Monday.

Really too bad, I hate to say it, and I'm not interested in a dust up after all of the fairly childish bullsh we've all seen on this forum about the MT-82, but presumably this is going to require a new transmission and that'll be 3 trips to the service department for drive-train issues and that's undeniably too many. I don't beat on the car; I drive it pretty normal, and I'm convinced the 2011's are on the left side of the bell curve when it comes to tranny reliability.

I don't have anything done to the car, aside from cutting the mufflers out and welding in a straight pipe a few months ago so I'm sure it will be covered, but I'd like to mod at some point, and more than minding the hassle of taking the car to the dealership and being out of my Stang' for a few days I feel tense about doing the intake\tune and full exhaust I'd like to do because I'm afraid in another 10k miles something else is going to take a dump on me and I'll of voided my warranty.

It's unfortunate, but, at least it'll be fixed, and I'll be back up and running here in a week or so.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Transmission started the infamous supercharger whine yesterday, not too loud, but I've noticed some progression just this morning. I've got an appointment to get it checked out next Monday.

Really too bad, I hate to say it, and I'm not interested in a dust up after all of the fairly childish bullsh we've all seen on this forum about the MT-82, but presumably this is going to require a new transmission and that'll be 3 trips to the service department for drive-train issues and that's undeniably too many. I don't beat on the car; I drive it pretty normal, and I'm convinced the 2011's are on the left side of the bell curve when it comes to tranny reliability.

I don't have anything done to the car, aside from cutting the mufflers out and welding in a straight pipe a few months ago so I'm sure it will be covered, but I'd like to mod at some point, and more than minding the hassle of taking the car to the dealership and being out of my Stang' for a few days I feel tense about doing the intake\tune and full exhaust I'd like to do because I'm afraid in another 10k miles something else is going to take a dump on me and I'll of voided my warranty.

It's unfortunate, but, at least it'll be fixed, and I'll be back up and running here in a week or so.

so just wait till your warranty is up before you do anything , ive decided myself to just wait till i have enough to put a supercharger on mine , to me its the only mod worth blowing your warranty for

·
Registered
784 Posts
Meh, they all whine to some degree. How bad is it?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Meh, they all whine to some degree. How bad is it?
It's not normal. I know what you're talking about, heard it many times before, and wondered if that was what people were referring to when they said their transmission was whining but this is a new sound. It's not particularly loud, but it's distinct and new. It really doesn't sound like your normal minor whine, It's also progressed over the last 24 hours.

If you go google "MT-82 Whining", there's a few videos that are exactly the sound mines making, but maybe a tick louder.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so just wait till your warranty is up before you do anything , ive decided myself to just wait till i have enough to put a supercharger on mine , to me its the only mod worth blowing your warranty for
That may be what I end up doing, but that sucks! I love having a new(ish) car that's unique and modded. I took my old 370z straight from the factory to a shop here in Dallas for some work.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Oh, well then that sucks. I hope it works out for you.

Mike

G

·
You have a great attitude towards your trans problem. I went through the same ordeal though I ignored mine for nearly 8 months before I decided to take it in. Got a new trans with no hassle, and with all of the mods you see in my sig.

I don't understand the idea of waiting for the warranty to expire before mods. If you wait and the mods cause a problem, you will have to pay for the repairs just like if you did it sooner. I think the quick-draw voided warranty has been exaggerated a bit too much over the internet. My dealership does not apply a blanket void of warranty for a few mods, they stay relevant to the problem and find the cause.

Being a tech myself for Mercedes I also see mods in the same way. Mods for Mercedes usually involve electrical systems(audio mostly) and it is those areas that I seek customer compensation before proceeding with diagnosis and repairs. However anything else that has an issue gets covered. And if during the diagnosis the problem is not related to the modifications the repair gets covered and the customer reimbursed for the diag charge.

This can all be covered by calling and talking to your local dealer. If they are so anal about their warranty practice, don't go there for anything.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You have a great attitude towards your trans problem. I went through the same ordeal though I ignored mine for nearly 8 months before I decided to take it in. Got a new trans with no hassle, and with all of the mods you see in my sig.

I don't understand the idea of waiting for the warranty to expire before mods. If you wait and the mods cause a problem, you will have to pay for the repairs just like if you did it sooner. I think the quick-draw voided warranty has been exaggerated a bit too much over the internet. My dealership does not apply a blanket void of warranty for a few mods, they stay relevant to the problem and find the cause.

Being a tech myself for Mercedes I also see mods in the same way. Mods for Mercedes usually involve electrical systems(audio mostly) and it is those areas that I seek customer compensation before proceeding with diagnosis and repairs. However anything else that has an issue gets covered. And if during the diagnosis the problem is not related to the modifications the repair gets covered and the customer reimbursed for the diag charge.

This can all be covered by calling and talking to your local dealer. If they are so anal about their warranty practice, don't go there for anything.
This is true, and the dealership I've been to has been nothing but reasonable with me thus far, but I'm sure other people have had other experiences that didn't end so amicably.

Really, as long as Ford is going to fix it for me, it's not a huge deal. Bummer to be out of the car for a couple days but shiz happens so I'm not inclined to freak out about it or anything. My expectation is that I'll probably have a new transmission by the end of next week, and my car was a pretty early build, second batch I think, so I'm hoping that I'll get one that has any improvements and adjustments Ford has made in the meantime.

·
Registered
627 Posts
That's too bad. Hope they make it right. Let us know what happens with your dealer.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
544 Posts
Do you only hear this sound when you are hold on to the shifter, specially in a turn?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, it's really more RPM specific, turning has no bearing on it, nor does holding the shifter. Yesterday I thought it was just 4th gear, but today I heard it in 3rd.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Ford added a phosphate coating to the gears to keep that obnoxious whine from happening as of 07/25/11. If your build date is before then, that is most likely what it is. I would still have it checked out, but most likely nothing serious.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ford added a phosphate coating to the gears to keep that obnoxious whine from happening as of 07/25/11. If your build date is before then, that is most likely what it is. I would still have it checked out, but most likely nothing serious.
Well, I've heard what I think a lot of people are talking about when they talk about whine. I'd honestly be surprised if that was it, the sound is brand new, and definitely sounds abnormal but who knows, that'd be great if it was no biggie.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Yea sorry to hear about the Transmission,glad your still under warranty.just curious how many miles on your Mustang.I dont worry about it anymore but it is in the back of my mind on occasion.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea sorry to hear about the Transmission,glad your still under warranty.just curious how many miles on your Mustang.I dont worry about it anymore but it is in the back of my mind on occasion.
Sitting at around 16.5k on the clock. This is actually my third trip to the dealer for a tranny related issue... Once the clutch, which was just screwy in the first runs, once the differential, which was just a little noisy, if I hadn't of put my coilovers on I wouldn't have ever noticed, and now this one. Really this is the only one that I think *might* be substantial. I think a lot of peoples woes are probably the clutches, but in any case, these things happen sometimes, and if Ford is cool about it, then it's just a couple days away and I'll just appreciate it that much more when I get back in the car. I kind of enjoy that occasionally anyways. Maybe not for major transmission problems, but still.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Here's a bench mark. My 2011 Gt was built on 9/21/2010 and the transmission is perfect after 19,000 miles.

·
Registered
270 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 67 Posts