Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a long debate with myself about going to 4:10s, I finally have decided to go for it. I was going to do the install myself but alot of you guys on here gave me enough doubt to seek outside assistance. I hate to have someone else wrenching on her but can live with it this time.
So I found a local garage to install the gears for $268 with me providing the parts. Asked around and nothing but good words about the guy and his work. So new gears installed for about $500, I can live with that.
:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Sounds like the going rate... Let us know how you like them.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
You are gonna love those gears. I paid around $200 i think for my 373's to be installed, i remember the ford dealer was gonna charge me $600!!!! I told them i would think about it and call them back.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are gonna love those gears. I paid around $200 i think for my 373's to be installed, i remember the ford dealer was gonna charge me $600!!!! I told them i would think about it and call them back.
Yeah I'm excited! I talked with another shop before the one I decided to go with and they wanted $750 and I couldn't provide the parts. I told him the same thing. I'll call back when I'm ready, Not. Funny thing is the other shop is right above that one in the phone book and I accidently called the $750 guy again.:happyhapp He was like didn't you call here before? I was like oh yeah you wanted $750 right? I'll let you know when I'm ready, lol.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Can someone please explain what are these gears you are talking about? And what do the 4:10 number means? From what I understand they are the gears in your transmission no?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
They are talking about the rear differential gears. The 4.10 ratio means the pinion gear will rotate 4.10 times for every revolution of the axle.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are talking about the rear differential gears. The 4.10 ratio means the pinion gear will rotate 4.10 times for every revolution of the axle.
This is correct and results in more pull at low end. You could compare it to moving the chain to the small sprocket on a bicycle. :gringreen

·
Registered
751 Posts
Ah ok thanks.
I thought as much about the numbers.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
So what are the pros and cons of this modification ?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Pros.... More torque, you get into your powerband quicker, and most likely you will have better quarter mile times

Cons... your gas mileage will become quite a bit worse and you cant top out as high as you could before but honestly when are you gonna need to go over 140?

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Pros.... More torque, you get into your powerband quicker, and most likely you will have better quarter mile times

Cons... your gas mileage will become quite a bit worse and you cant top out as high as you could before but honestly when are you gonna need to go over 140?
It doesn't affect mileage as much as you'd think. Some have even seen improvement since they spend more time in 5th.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
After a long debate with myself about going to 4:10s, I finally have decided to go for it. I was going to do the install myself but alot of you guys on here gave me enough doubt to seek outside assistance. I hate to have someone else wrenching on her but can live with it this time.
So I found a local garage to install the gears for $268 with me providing the parts. Asked around and nothing but good words about the guy and his work. So new gears installed for about $500, I can live with that.
:bigthumbsup
Good price! I hope they have experience doing ring and pinions.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey I just got a price...pretty high too. 350 for labor, I guess I can deal with that, 110 for new axles, 100 for install kit, 36 for fluid, 140 for a girdle cover, 215 for 4.10 gears, 470 for the tru-trac. seems high right? do i need new axles, and a new girdle cover (7.5" V6)? should I get the detroit true trac or something else? do i even want a t-loc?

help me out guys...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good price! I hope they have experience doing ring and pinions.
Yeah they are experienced at doing them. One of the guys that work for me had his truck done and drove it for 2 years with no problems.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
It doesn't affect mileage as much as you'd think. Some have even seen improvement since they spend more time in 5th.
Ok....since I have the stock gear ration on my GT what is the ratio number for stock ? Is it 3.31 ? (that number sounds familiar to me for some reason)

How many other gear ratios are available as aftermarket ?

I know that one of the options the GT comes with is a "3.55 limited slip axle ratio" which my GT did not come with. Is that the rear axle gears ?

So since the option is 3.55 and many of you seem to be going with 4.10 then I assume the higher the number the more torque ?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok....since I have the stock gear ration on my GT what is the ratio number for stock ? Is it 3.31 ? (that number sounds familiar to me for some reason)

How many other gear ratios are available as aftermarket ?

I know that one of the options the GT comes with is a "3.55 limited slip axle ratio" which my GT did not come with. Is that the rear axle gears ?

So since the option is 3.55 and many of you seem to be going with 4.10 then I assume the higher the number the more torque ?
There should be a sticker on your differential cover that will tell you what gears you have. My stock gear 2007 GT/CS is a 3:55. I don't know why yours would be different unless it has something to do with a vert:headscratch:

You are correct about the number/torque assumption.

There are many gear options!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
There should be a sticker on your differential cover that will tell you what gears you have. My stock gear 2007 GT/CS is a 3:55. I don't know why yours would be different unless it has something to do with a vert:headscratch:

You are correct about the number/torque assumption.

There are many gear options!
On a GT, the 3:55 gears are an option. They must be standard on a GT/CS.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
i do not believe that the GT/CS has anything to do with gear ratios. I just remember back when i bought my car, if you had a stick, for an extra $100 bucks you could grab 3.55's instead of the OEm 3.31's which are also stock on the gt500. the bullitt comes with 3.73's as the stock ratio.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
i do not believe that the GT/CS has anything to do with gear ratios. I just remember back when i bought my car, if you had a stick, for an extra $100 bucks you could grab 3.55's instead of the OEm 3.31's which are also stock on the gt500. the bullitt comes with 3.73's as the stock ratio.
I just read somewhere else that starting in 2007 the GT came with 3:31 gears as stock. The guy with the GT/CS said his came stock with 3:55 gears. That can't be true....the 3:55 gears had to be on the car as an option. When I bought my GT it was a 300.00 option to have the 3:55 gears. But I got my car right off the lot and it didn't have that option installed, it had the 3:31 stock gears. I figured if I wanted to upgrade later I could....and I could even go to 4:10 gears if I did instead of the 3:31.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just read somewhere else that starting in 2007 the GT came with 3:31 gears as stock. The guy with the GT/CS said his came stock with 3:55 gears. That can't be true....the 3:55 gears had to be on the car as an option. When I bought my GT it was a 300.00 option to have the 3:55 gears. But I got my car right off the lot and it didn't have that option installed, it had the 3:31 stock gears. I figured if I wanted to upgrade later I could....and I could even go to 4:10 gears if I did instead of the 3:31.
I wasn't clear in my statement. My gears may have been an option. I bought the car used not new. I was just stating that it has factory 3:55 gears in it. I wasn't sure what the "standard" gear was. Sorry for any confusion. At any rate they will be 4:10s in a couple weeks.:bigthumbsup

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.