Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my projects this weekend was to replace the timing cover gasket. When I started the car this morning it started this chirping sound. Previous owner mentioned this happening from time to time. But it goes away after a minute of running. I sprayed the belt with WD-40 and still chirp. I removed the belt and it still chirps. I've heard this before with blown head gaskets, it's air blowing by for just a minute until the head heats up, expands and closed up the hole. So I decided to go ahead and replace the head gaskets. About 4 hours to remove the timing cover and the heads. Passenger side is a booger, had to drop the exhaust collector bolts to get enough wiggle room to move the exhaust to get to the head bolts. Drivers side much easier. I may post some picks later.

Now the question, where are yall getting the gaskets. Oreilly has a complete kit for $200. Just the timing cover kit (I bought before) is $12. Are yall getting the gaskets from the dealer or what?

BTW the side with the chirping had some suspect marking on the front head. The drivers side looked much cleaner and no obvious marks on the gasket. Unless it's a bad one it's probably hard to tell.

Oh one more question, I left the fuel rail in place, does AZ and Oreilly have the tools to remove the connections? They are like the AC and some fuel pump connectors, they slide over the metal line and spread the locking spring. They are bigger than my Super Duty fuel filter lines.

Oh another last question, anyone have the 180 thermostat P/N?

Thanks a bunch....ROb

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Could have checked your oil to see if your head gasket was gone. The chirping sound, is it constant or spuratic? Check www.mrgasket.com (sp?) they should have a kit for your project.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SOme some here said oil and water doesn't always look bad but I had all the other symptons. Chirp is constant at cold start only, lasts about 60 seconds then slowly fades and is gone. This sounds like some of the diesels and other gas engines I use to work on. A compression leak can cause overheating as the air is passed through a small opening, it speeds up and heats up.

Well we'll see what happens. The parts are all cleaned up and I got the timing cover back on. Just need some gaskets. I guess not to many people have really done this at home.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
yeah we have only done a tear down and rebuild on a B230 Volvo engine, stripped bolt here and there, its a pain, some gaskets dont match up. Fun!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Going good here, I limit myself to so much time per night since at the moment the car is a 3rd vehicle. I find when I do this I don't get that burned out and flustrated if something does go wrong. I also say I just want to get "this" completed. If I reach that goal it's lights out. I could easily work until midnight but only be tired and stressed.

Worked 90 minutes and got more done than I thought, both head, rockers and the exhaust bolted up solid, also new plugs in. Just the torque sequence of the head bolts on this booger is about 15 minutes a side. Nice and slow, no pressure. Tonight another 90 minutes, intakes, water pump, ful rail and if I'm lucky, the 2 assessory brackets, which should be easy because everything is still attached and it's only about 4 bolts a side.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
sounds like you have more patience then the other half of Svr-racing (volvo side) I heard tools flying around quick frequently. I do have to give him the fabrication factor, he can make some stuff work that I could no even think, then again....it is a volvo, so duct tape and zip ties are SOP.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.