Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well guys . . it was my first time ever on a track. I had no clue what I was doing . . . but I still took first place . . lol. Best time was a 15.766 at 90.764 mph (slow as molasses). Best reaction time was a .117 off the lights. I was shocked when the guy told me to come get my trophy . . lol.

Anyway, it was a blast. I have some work to do to get the car down into numbers that are respectable. That being said, I'll take the win as a first timer. I like the big ole trophy!!

Thanks to you guys on this board for the advice. :drink:

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Nice job! :drink:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Awesome!
Those times sound about how I did the first time out in my mustang. What was your 60foot times? That is a big sign of how things are going for you. My first times were 2.61, 2.49, 2.62, 2.74. Then, with better tires, unbolted front sway bar and loosened front strut nuts, and a better track, I ran 2.44, 2.37, 2.34, and 2.27 seconds. As a general rule, .1 quicker in the 60ft area is worth .2 to .3 on the big end. Drag racing is won or lost (for the most part) in the first half of the track, especially the first 60 ft. Good times!
hechtrod out

·
Registered
136 Posts
Times don't seem too bad for a 95 vert!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, guys.

My 2 best 60 foot times were 2.703 (with a .380 reaction time) and 2.631 (with a .117 reaction time)

My last run of the night, after the race was over, I spun the tires all the way through 1st and chirped em into second. It was my worst launch of the night. The guy I was racing with told me to get some slicks. But . . . I wanna get some ponioes first . . lol.

And . . . I was the only guy racing with a car seat strapped into the back seat (don't worry . . my kids were in the stands NOT in the car)

G

·
hechtrod said:
Awesome!
Those times sound about how I did the first time out in my mustang. What was your 60foot times? That is a big sign of how things are going for you. My first times were 2.61, 2.49, 2.62, 2.74. Then, with better tires, unbolted front sway bar and loosened front strut nuts, and a better track, I ran 2.44, 2.37, 2.34, and 2.27 seconds. As a general rule, .1 quicker in the 60ft area is worth .2 to .3 on the big end. Drag racing is won or lost (for the most part) in the first half of the track, especially the first 60 ft. Good times!
hechtrod out
What does loosening the strut nuts do?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, bro. Now its time to work on getting it down into the 13s!!! :drink:

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I almost forgot!!!! Both the winner AND runner up were Mustang Verts!! The other cars were all GMs!!!! :naughty

·
Registered
108 Posts
95.0 stang,

Loosening the front strut nuts helps act like a drag strut (a little bit). A drag strut does not resist upward motion and all resistance on the downward motion of the front strut. Like a Lakewood 90/10 front drag strut, the 90 is 90% resistance down, 10 is 10% resistance upward. So, loosening the front strut nuts allows the strut to have (1/2" to 3/4" more movement without resistance. Its hard to explain now that I'm trying to picture it. My dad is the man for that, he swares by it.
I know in drags, you don't want the car to "lift" the weight of the nose up, b/c that would resist weight transfer. You want the front to easily tip upward, putting the weight on the rears.
Just don't taking any jumps with the strut nuts loose like that. Could be hazardous. :) doh! Tighten them babies back when you get home.
hechtrod out

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.