Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently posted about how i went through a puddle in my mustang and how i cant get it to start, i did everything i was told to do and nothing worked. i pulled all plugs but i cant even get my crank shaft to turn over. i tried everything i could think of, i dumped the clutch in second down a hill to try to turn it, and i tried wrenching on the shaft and nothing, i cant get it to move even a little. i was told the problem might be the starter. im getting clicking noises when i turn the key but i cant get that motor to turn over. what is the problem?

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
i pulled all plugs but i cant even get my crank shaft to turn over.
Are you saying the motor is completely locked or it turns over but does not start?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
100% locked up, I can't get it to do anything. I've pulled all the plugs to "release pressure" but I can't get the crankshaft to move a bit

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Sooooo. It ran fine until going through water. Now it's locked up. ???????

Is it reasonable to think there's a problem with the starter? OK..there's always hope.....Pull the starter and see if the motor can be turned by the front crank bolt. Besides, the starter will have to be removed anyway in order to pull the motor.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if the motor can't be truned over forward or backwards (do not turn the motor backwards more than than a few degrees especially if automatic) it's likely hydro-locked. Broken parts await upon teardown.

Check out car-part.com for prices on salvage yard motors.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Sooooo. It ran fine until going through water. Now it's locked up. ???????

Is it reasonable to think there's a problem with the starter? OK..there's always hope.....Pull the starter and see if the motor can be turned by the front crank bolt. Besides, the starter will have to be removed anyway in order to pull the motor.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if the motor can't be truned over forward or backwards (do not turn the motor backwards more than than a few degrees especially if automatic) it's likely hydro-locked. Broken parts await upon teardown.

Check out car-part.com for prices on salvage yard motors.
+1 on your comment

Im going to put my 2 cents in since this happened to me. When i was downtown charleston it flooded and i ran my 2007 dodge charger through a very deep puddle. The car would not turn over at all, at first i thought it was the alternator until i removed it and test it to see if it worked. I then proceeded to tear the engine apart because the motor would not turn over manually with a breaker bar. As i tore into the motor i found that all the cylinders were filled with water and so was the intake. I then took a small plastic tube and a shop vac and rigged it so that i could suck as much water as i could out of the cylinder. I think took some oil and put a little bit in each of the cylinders because i let it sit for a couple days and there was a little bit of rust in and around some parts. I then put everything back together and drained the oil and low and behold there was 8 quarts of a water and oil mixture that came out.(it holds 5 qts) i then tried to start it up and it ran fine. Smoked a little bit but ran perfect.That was when it had 50k on the clock and now it has over 115k miles, still running like a champ. Im actually taking it to Ohio tomorrow. To make a long story short you have a slight chance of hope and may be able to use my method and you will be ok, but remeber dont waste anytime, the longer you wait the longer the water has to sit and destroy your motor. good luck and let us know what happens.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@mustangsvt281, im not comfortable with a complete tear down but i will keep you informed. ive only been down to the intake manifold but i will defiantly try if i can possibly save it

·
Registered
806 Posts
@mustangsvt281, im not comfortable with a complete tear down but i will keep you informed. ive only been down to the intake manifold but i will defiantly try if i can possibly save it
Well i guess you really dont have to tear it down as much as i did, plus the engine bay in the charger was big and it was very easy to take apart. you could just lift the upper intake off and try sticking the tube down in there to see if you suck any water out at all. PLease dont prolong this because as i stated above the loonger you wait the worse its going to get. You may have not sucked up that much water depending on how deep the puddle was. I thought my puddle wasnt that deep and it ended up being 3 feet deep and i sucked up a crap load of water. mayber you have just enough in the cyclinder where it is getting hydro locked. Im not sure because im not looking at your car. Keep us informed

·
Registered
283 Posts
im going to agree that its the starter... it should be on the passanger side behind the front axle and should only be a few connections... the upper one- furthest from the ground is kinda a pain the rear fyi but its doable to change

·
Registered
806 Posts
im going to agree that its the starter... it should be on the passanger side behind the front axle and should only be a few connections... the upper one- furthest from the ground is kinda a pain the rear fyi but its doable to change
see i would say the starter but he is getting a clicking noise when he tries to turn it over. so this might mean that the starter is attempting to turn the motor over but it is hydrolocked so the started doesnt have enough power to turn the motor over. Thats why i suggested first to pull the starter and bench test it. if the starter is good then he has god awful amounts of water inside of the motor. i was just trying to tell him that not all hope is lost. I went through this my self and this is how i fixed it. I wish he would try to use a breaker bar and see if he can turn it over manually, then that way we can diagnose the problem a little better because if he can turn the motor over manually front the crankshaft then i would say its the starter, but as of right now i think the motor is full of water.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Might shouldn't named this thread "went though a pond" instead of puddle.

Pull the starter completly off and drain oil (check oil for signs of water) and with the plugs out, spray the clys full of WD40 and let it set overnight in case the rings are rusted to the cyl walls. With the trans in neutral or park, try to turn motor with long greaker bar.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't think I'd bother pulling the starter. Drain the oil out, you will know for sure if there is enough water in it to hydrolock it, the oil will look something like the photo I'm attaching, and there would have to be about 2 gallons of it.

Does the motor turn a little bit by hand, like there's resistance? Or does it not turn at all. When you drain the oil, stick a small retrieval magnet into the drain hole and see if you come up with shrapnel. If you can't turn it with a breaker bar, and you tried a rolling clutch dump to turn it, your outlook is pretty bleak.. if it didn't splatter pieces all into the oil pan and you do get it to run, I'd start saving for a replacement.

There's a good chance that it compressed a rod and either broke the rod or dropped the piston low enough for the crankshaft counterweight to hit it. I hope neither is the case, but 4.6's don't breathe water well.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Jeez how deep was this puddle? Puddles around me are never more than a few inches.

·
Registered
13 Posts
A puddle killed my engine at 90k miles. Any updates OP?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts