Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okey so i took my car to the track this weekend and ran it my best time was 15.4. Now i know this has been asked before but i want some input on it. Okey my friend came down in his cobalt ss and we ran them several times with the same result first and second we were dead even than when i would hit 3 he would pull on me and it was all over from there he would pull till the end. So bacically what i want to know is what mods more or less would improve my mid range or 3rd gear i guess is what im getting at so does anyone have any good advice to help me out? :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
put your current mods (if any) in your signature so we dont have to ask or guess

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry i suppose that would be helpful im not sure how to put it in my signature. CAI, exhaust, posi, and a tune from am.. its also a five speed.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
top left of this page my control panel > edit signature

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heres my slip info..

reaction-.9989
60ft-2.2875
1/8-9.9323
1000-12.8355
1/4-15.4370
1/4 mph-88.92

And my reaction time was terrible this run so ignore please haha but it was my best run of the day with very little wheel spin...

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
Are you power shifting? That means, you don't take your foot off the gas. Keep it there, and shift really, really fast.....

Your street tires are also holding you back. Drop the pressure a bit 4-6psi, and don't do a burnout with street tires. Also, did you take everything out of the trunk?

Reaction time doesn't count for newbies at the track.....

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah car was empty i didnt do burnouts i knew that was a waste and no i didnt power shift i didnt want to be that hard on it but i know i could have done better that run had a horrible take off and i still ran 15.4 so i think i could have done ever lower 15s but third seemed like it was killin me.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Aren't Cobalt SS's boost limited in 1st and 2nd gear? Or am I thinking of another car.
you are thinking of the SRT4. neither the s/c or t/c cobalt ss's are boost limited in any gear.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Okey so i took my car to the track this weekend and ran it my best time was 15.4. Now i know this has been asked before but i want some input on it. Okey my friend came down in his cobalt ss and we ran them several times with the same result first and second we were dead even than when i would hit 3 he would pull on me and it was all over from there he would pull till the end. So bacically what i want to know is what mods more or less would improve my mid range or 3rd gear i guess is what im getting at so does anyone have any good advice to help me out? :bigthumbsup
h/c/i, nitrous, or f/i.

you could definitely benefit from 3.73's & drag radials, you've got at least a tenth left in your 60ft with your current power level and a reasonable (2k-3k) launch.

i will tell from personal experience that a healthy shot of n02 is enough to mop the floor with modded cobalts :p.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
as far as my launch i was at 2600 with very little spin with 245-45-16 kumos and i didnt think that was bad but it seems like my top end is whats killin me. I also picked up a windstar intade from the junk yard but i didnt relieze i would need to cut the hood to make it fit with the write up on here so thats on hold for a while unless someone could give me a suggestion on that?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
as far as my launch i was at 2600 with very little spin with 245-45-16 kumos and i didnt think that was bad but it seems like my top end is whats killin me. I also picked up a windstar intade from the junk yard but i didnt relieze i would need to cut the hood to make it fit with the write up on here so thats on hold for a while unless someone could give me a suggestion on that?
VAP's windstar setups dont require you to cut your hood.
maybe you can talk to the guy and see what you'll need.

also, your times are pretty good for your current mods, 60ft included. 15.4 @ 88mph tells me that you're a good driver.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks 232-K7 i plan on going back again over the 4th so i would like to do a couple mods im just not sure witch to go with. And as far as vap i feel its a little pricey but i might end up going with there intake

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
get just the special parts you need from them other stuff would probably be cheaper getting on your own

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
get just the special parts you need from them other stuff would probably be cheaper getting on your own
+1 mark

i just meant ask him what adapter or extension you need so you can keep your stock hood, if you're nice to him he might sell you just the piece you need. :smoke:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah but on his kit he cut and moved the IAC ports on the intake i would need to do the same in order to match his kit...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okey another quick question i am looking at short throw shifters and i was wondering if anyone had an opinion on the 70$ steeda shifter from am muscle??

G

·
Okey another quick question i am looking at short throw shifters and i was wondering if anyone had an opinion on the 70$ steeda shifter from am muscle??
It is not Steeda. I assume you are talking about this one:
Mustang Short Throw Sport Shifter (83 - Early 01 V8 & 94-04 V6 T-5/T-45 Transmission) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!
I would be a bit weary of such a cheap shifter but, if AM carries it I would trust it.
Otherwise, you can't got wrong with a Steeda Tri-Ax, or MGW:
Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter T5 / T-45 at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!
Mustang Accessories

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.