Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well went to the track i couldnt run cuz my license is expierd ha i got to get it renewed so my gf drove my car and we got these numbers

15.296 ET at 92.17MPH 2.390 60FT

Im pissed there has to be something wrong here

·
Registered
539 Posts
Haha could be oh I don't know perhaps just possibly oh maybe the driver?! lol sorry to hear you didn't get to run your car man. At least your girl gave it a try for you. +1 on Girlfriend!

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea she can drive better then most guys around here she beat my friend in his 97 driving mine

myYearbook

this is the vid of the run

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
she didnt over spin or bog it was a pretty good launch spun maybe 5 feet shifting at 5,500rpm it should be around 14.5 i think i can get it to do a 14 but not sure how much more i get othere then i will burn out and get the tires nice and hot cuz these nitto grip way good when hot so i can get time there and i can shift way fast so there is a little time but other then that dont know what else i can get out of it or how much time i can knock off

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
With what you have it should crack 14's, but it seems to me that your 60ft. is a little on the slow side. Gears will definetly help out along with some drag radials. Also weather/altitude affects these cars which I can not stress enough, if you ran it straight off the highway the heat soak in the motor will affect performance. So don't be discouraged, alot of people here go on to talk about wut they think a 5.0 should run and than run it only to be disappointed. Just keep on workin on it, but I highly recommend getting a stickier tire and gears to put you in your powerband quicker.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
these Nitto Nt555 are awsome for grip but i didnt have her burn out really just spun to start line i know if i drive it i can hit a 14.9 at least but still seams slow i was wondering what a good street tire 60 ft time was around she almost beat a new vett mostly on the rt vett got 14.5 she got 15.3 when boging then reved and took off again so i think she could have had a 14 on that but the vett was only half a car ahead at the trap. yes im gonna put 3.73 gears in and 13lb flywheel with stage 2 clutch cuz its not holding when my tire's are hot and i launch from 4,500rpm oh a hot day it slips lol thats what my tax refunds going to lol =)

what did you run with out the heads and cam i know the gears will take me to 14.5 cuz my speed was 92-93mph cuz the way these gears are i left my hood open after each run to cool it down temp was 36deg and i got there at 8 runs didnt start till 11 so i dont think heat was a issue then but i know my header cook my intake she was at 35-4000rpm in 3rd gear at the end

·
Registered
66 Posts
Were you in the car when she ran it? Every 100lbs generally adds 1/10th of a second. Your car would run upper 14's when it was new, driver only, professional driver, at standard temperature and elevation. All of these factors make a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Without h/c/i I ran a [email protected] and my 60 ft. was a 2.39 on old street tires. The regular nt555's are a good street tire but when you start getting more aggresive with your mods and especially when you add the gears you're goin to need to upgrade to a drag radial. With the gears and some grip you ought to have a mid-high 14 maybe low 14's in great weather. But don't set your goals too high, run your car, practice launching and most of all try to have fun. Every car is different also different places have better racing facilities and weather. Just the other day a guy on this forum( I believe proracer ) was talking about how his car was doin very low 14's w/o gears or intake! Very impressive, but it doesn't make me mad about me havin h/c/i and running only marginally quicker because I know every car is different and we all encounter different conditions where we race. So keep us updated on your progress, and let us know when you end up whoopin that vette's a$$.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Were you in the car when she ran it? Every 100lbs generally adds 1/10th of a second. Your car would run upper 14's when it was new, driver only, professional driver, at standard temperature and elevation. All of these factors make a noticeable difference.
No i was not in the car just her 100lb body lol i know if i had gears it would have ran nice these gears are so long i dont understand it! 75mph in 2nd gear come on its hard to pull gears like that 2nd is my best gear where i destroy ppl 1st sucks cuz you cant launch with these gears and 2nd pulls nice with the gt-40 intake then 3rd is so long it hurts it again so i decided gas prices can go to hell cuz 3.73's are coming!!!:hihi: how much am i looking at to have somone put them in for me if i bought them already? depending on the price i will do it myself :bigthumbsup

Where do you live? i Live in Utah the track is in the Salt lake area elevation is about 4,330 feet

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
how much am i looking at to have somone put them in for me if i bought them already? depending on the price i will do it myself :bigthumbsup

Where do you live? i Live in Utah the track is in the Salt lake area elevation is about 4,330 feet
You're looking at about 300-500 for the gear install. As for the elevation, thats the reason for your times being a bit off. I use to live in Colorado Springs, so you can imagine my surprise when the first time I went to the track I busted off a [email protected] in my first 5.0. But it was because The elevation up there was almost 5000ft.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ya the only thing is that some ppl around hear are runing 14.7 on a stock 5.0 one guy i was gonna buy one from said he had a best time of 13.7 with 70mm tb cold air and cat back may have had gears not sure seam like bs to me but i though i should run at least a mid 14 but my 16th is another Midnight Drags i will be driving this time so will see how it can really perform

·
Registered
66 Posts
No i was not in the car just her 100lb body lol i know if i had gears it would have ran nice these gears are so long i dont understand it! 75mph in 2nd gear come on its hard to pull gears like that 2nd is my best gear where i destroy ppl 1st sucks cuz you cant launch with these gears and 2nd pulls nice with the gt-40 intake then 3rd is so long it hurts it again so i decided gas prices can go to hell cuz 3.73's are coming!!!:hihi: how much am i looking at to have somone put them in for me if i bought them already? depending on the price i will do it myself :bigthumbsup

I live near San francisco. The elevation is definitely enough to make a difference on your time if it's 4,330 feet. The standard temperature is cooler at that elevation too. The ambient lapse rate is 3 degrees per every 1000 feet increase in elevation and the standard temperature at sea level is 59. Standard temperature for you is like 46 degrees. For every 15 degrees you add to your standard 46 is like adding another thousand feet to your elevation. Ex: 61 degrees = 5,330 feet elevation. If I can remember correctly, a non-turbo engine loses about 2% of it's power for every 1000 foot gain in altitude.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I live near San francisco. The elevation is definitely enough to make a difference on your time if it's 4,330 feet. The standard temperature is cooler at that elevation too. The ambient lapse rate is 3 degrees per every 1000 feet increase in elevation and the standard temperature at sea level is 59. Standard temperature for you is like 46 degrees. For every 15 degrees you add to your standard 46 is like adding another thousand feet to your elevation. Ex: 61 degrees = 5,330 feet elevation. If I can remember correctly, a non-turbo engine loses about 2% of it's power for every 1000 foot gain in altitude.
wow thats info i have never heard lol but i know altitude can make over 1 second diff well it was 36deg so that should have taken off about 800 feet right? so it was more like 3530? i know i can make it do a 14 but 14 what? idk

Check this out this is her 2nd run Against a Corvett notice how she bogs then takes off again

YouTube - 88 5.0 Mustang vrs Newer corvett

·
Registered
66 Posts
wow thats info i have never heard lol but i know altitude can make over 1 second diff well it was 36deg so that should have taken off about 800 feet right? so it was more like 3530? i know i can make it do a 14 but 14 what? idk

Check this out this is her 2nd run Against a Corvett notice how she bogs then takes off again

YouTube - 88 5.0 Mustang vrs Newer corvett
The 15 degrees = 1000' of altitude rule is a part of what pilots call density altitude(I'm a flight instructor). If your density altitude was at 3500' and you lose about 2% of your horsepower for every 1000' gain in altitude, you're probably losing 15+ horsepower. Put your numbers into this calculator and see what comes up TunerCalcs - Estimate Quarter Mile ET from Wheel Horsepower and Vehicle Weight

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Awesome info 8550 i didnt take into factor the temperature, so my b for the bad info mustangcrazy. But once again we all learned something new.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The 15 degrees = 1000' of altitude rule is a part of what pilots call density altitude(I'm a flight instructor). If your density altitude was at 3500' and you lose about 2% of your horsepower for every 1000' gain in altitude, you're probably losing 15+ horsepower. Put your numbers into this calculator and see what comes up TunerCalcs - Estimate Quarter Mile ET from Wheel Horsepower and Vehicle Weight
idk weight or rwhp its hard to tell but i got a ticking sound now just what i need about the number 3 or 4 cylinder area after the races speeds up with rpm it die's out at certain rpm so its not a constant sound im thinking either A lifter is going B exhaust leak like gasket? seems to run just fine though:headscratch:

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

ya i know but what im saying is you say every 15deg over the 46 is adding 1,000 feet but the temp that day was 36deg 10 degree under the standard 46 so what im trying to say would 10deg under the standard be like at lower elevation or does it stay the same once you get as low as the standard you get me?:headscratch: :gringreen

so anyway i too the vett run and her first and i figured if she had the same 60foot time as her first run when she got the 15.399 aginst the vet she would have had a 15.05

·
Registered
66 Posts
ya i know but what im saying is you say every 15deg over the 46 is adding 1,000 feet but the temp that day was 36deg 10 degree under the standard 46 so what im trying to say would 10deg under the standard be like at lower elevation or does it stay the same once you get as low as the standard you get me?:headscratch: :gringreen

so anyway i too the vett run and her first and i figured if she had the same 60foot time as her first run when she got the 15.399 aginst the vet she would have had a 15.05
Air temperature and altitude are two separate factors. Colder air is more dense which makes it possible to get more oxygen into your combustion chamber than warmer air. Your engine produces suction(low pressure) on the intake stroke as it draws air into the engine. Standard barometric pressure is 29.92" and you lose about 1" of pressure with every 1000' gain in altitude. Example: 3000' altitude = 26.92. Basically, the higher the barometric pressure is, the more air it pushes into your engine because the difference in pressure between your intake stroke(low pressure) and the outside atmosphere(high pressure) is greater.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so you you get the best power you can as long as your are under the standard temp is that what your saying cuz if you 15deg over that temp its like adding 1k feet

1 - 20 of 77 Posts