Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello , i was wondering what intake manifold would be the best purchase these days for the 5.0? trying to spend a reasonable amount of money, cheapest bang for the buck!! i have stock 302 with 24 # injectors , 70mm throttle body feul pressure reg , shorty headers, h pipe and 2.5 mac catback with 3 inch tails and a 150 wet shot of juice. :D

·
Registered
152 Posts
Welcome.Well I have been told that the explorer 5.0 upper and lower is a good choice and you can find them fairly cheap on ebay or the cobra upper,lower is $404.95 at summit racing.

·
Registered
455 Posts

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
That Professional Products intake is basically an Edelbrock Performer but PP stuff tends to have a lot of casting flash inside it. If you get one, check it first and take down as much of this flash as you can.
Or you can get a Cobra intake, you can find them for $350 now.

·
Registered
120 Posts
There is a trick flow streetburner intake on ebay for like $230.00. I've heard of a lot of installtion issues with the Proffesional Products Typhoon intakes. More specifically the intake flanges do not, the bolt hole locations, line up very well with the heads and need to be redrilled. Cheap knock-off. I would go with a reputable name you can trust.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Eagleauto what do you think? is the Typhoon a decent beginner intake to run or are you better off buying a gt40? Or just port out the stock upper and lower?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Cobra, cobra, cobra.

·
Registered
25 Posts
check out comp cams site. they have a article in the tech section that tests all the popular intakes on a 302 and a 347. its a good read! i have a typhoon intake on my 5.0 and didnt have any issues with fitment. it isnt the prettiest intake out there but it fit the bill and works great.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Cobra, cobra, cobra.

echo that Yes Cobra Cobra Cobra, i dropped 2 tenths and picked up 2 mph in the quarter after the upgrade, and thats in swealting North Carolina heat

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have the edlebrock performer rpm intake, the one the PP one is modeled after. I love it!! It supposedly adds a dyno proven 34 hp to a stock 5.0 engine, but idk about that. I just know that it works fantastic with my setup. I highly recomend it. anytine i pop the hood people are like "Oh Damn! Check out that intake, thats a real piece of hardware!" I love it :)

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have a edelbrock works great, there is a pretty nice bbk one to in summit, but alot of theese are real expensive.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
the cheapest way to go is to port the stock lower and the next cheapest is probably an Explorer intake. Either will make the same average power.

·
Registered
181 Posts
the cheapest way to go is to port the stock lower and the next cheapest is probably an Explorer intake. Either will make the same average power.

Yeah i was looking at going this ruite, i was thinking explorer upper and lower, but you figure just port the stock lower? and what would honestly be better, explorer upper or the typhoon upper? i was reading up on the typhoon and i see sometimes you need to do some cleaning up and porting on the intake?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I would do the heads first. Porting or going to a bigger intake is just going to send more air to a measly flowing head. I think you may slow down, IMO.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the Typhoon, but I've ported plenty of them. Their casting quality is getting better but's it's still not the quality of any Ford or American made intake.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ford Intakes

I'm using a stock lower ported by TMOSS w. gt40p heads on a 89 coupe and the Explorer intake upper/lower w. gt40p heads on my 91 LX. Happy with both although I have never had them on the dyno.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
the main difference in a ported stock intake and an Explorer on heads that flow 210cfm or less is the power band - the Explorer has a little more above ~4,500-4,800 rpm and the ported stocker has more power below that. Average power over the entire band is very close.

·
Registered
181 Posts
the main difference in a ported stock intake and an Explorer on heads that flow 210cfm or less is the power band - the Explorer has a little more above ~4,500-4,800 rpm and the ported stocker has more power below that. Average power over the entire band is very close.
So now what do you really think the best set up for street/strip is with heads and intakes. I am doing this work to my car this winter and trying to do the best bang for my buck kind of deal, but not looking to spend a ton on new edelbrock's or afr's or on edelbrock intakes or what not. I looked at trying to get some gt40's or even gt40p's but its very hard around here and doing work to these stock e7's i figure just isent worth the time and money. So with that said, heads/intake set ups at the cheapist coast?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.