Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What add ons will give me 250hp for a 2000 Mustang V6

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  ESG-642T 
#1 ·
I know I posted this once but I wasn't clear enouph I guess. So I will try this again. All I got before was guys talkin about there rides, no real answers.

I have a stock V6 2000 vert. Only mods so far were done by the previous owner, and he only worked on the suspension.

I want 250 or 260hp out of it. I am planning to do CAI, dual exsuast, and a tuner.

What else do I need to do to get those kind of numbers.

Thanks for the help.

#2 ·
First, no matter what, you should get true duel exhaust, and gears in the rearend (3.73 if manual or going with SC/turbo/nitrous; 4:10 if auto or staying N/A). A tuner/scanner tool, and your stock cam isn't good for any kind of real power.

The easiest way to get there would be to put a supercharger on it. There are kits all over that bolt right on (some include fuel upgrades and everything you need to support) - but they're around 3-4k.

Or now there are more and more turbo kits becoming available also.

If you want to go the long route, get CAI, duel exh., underdrive pulleys, aluminum heads and new intake, port/polish, large fuel delivery, a 104 octane tune... maybe need a stroker or higher compression too..

You're basically talking about raising the HP 100 points...

#3 ·
Gears don't add hp, they multiply torque.

#4 ·
Port your heads and intake, do all the bolt-ons, add a hot street cam, and add an intake spacer for more volume.

That will get you close, the engine is intake limited, and RPM limited, not so much exhaust limited. you can also throw in a 4.2L rotating assembly.

Otherwise, use a power adder if you don't want to do major surgery.

#5 ·
Thanks. I have been considering a SuperCharger, and have been doing some research into them. Trying to find out what I would need to do to it prior to putting one on. I'd rather overbuild it than have the S/C break something that I should have upgraded. I've seen a lot of aruements on here about wether or not I would need to get forged internals first. No one can seem to agree on that point.

#6 ·
Most of them are designed for an OEM installation.

Unless you try to adapt a T-Bird SC style blower, you don't have to worry about it.

There isn't much shock to the drivetrain with a centrifugal blower, as there is with a twin screw or roots, or for that matter a turbo, the boost comes on gently and work break your crank or rods.

#9 ·
Without an intercooler, 7 lbs, with a good intercooler, you can run 11psi.

#10 ·
doh! ks got in before me. What he says is true as well even though I still think 11lbs is a lot even with an intercooler. I personally would play it safe since you're only looking for 250ish hp

#11 ·
I run 9 lbs on a stock V6 motor. No knocking, pinging, funny sounds or anything. The power comes in real smooth...I think with a 2000 you'll be ok with a vortech or a procharger. you could find used kits for <$2000.

#12 ·
doh! ks got in before me. What he says is true as well even though I still think 11lbs is a lot even with an intercooler. I personally would play it safe since you're only looking for 250ish hp. :thumbup:

#13 ·
hmm...most posts got all messed up somehow....

#14 ·
If you don't want to spend a bunch of money and want quick power you could pick up a complete nitrous set for really cheap. You could safely run a 75 wet shot..that alone will get you close to your goal..I found a used kit, complete for 400

#16 ·
I found out that I already have 4.10 gears and an LSD. I took it to a shop to get some estimates and the mechanic showed me some stuff the old owner had upgraded already. BONUS!!!:woo:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.