Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,..i need advice thanks,.:headscratch:I just bought a new pair of Mickey Thompson cheater slicks for my 1988 mustang,..Im going to take it to the race track soon (1/4 mile),..what air pressure works best? (back tires)
8lbs??? or maybe 12lbs??

The engine is mostly stock,..but has a cam,65 throttle body, 1.6 rockers,..cold air speed density intake,.flex fan, 14 degrees timing,.felpro gaskets,.msd distributor,accel coil,..new wires and new plugs...bypassed smog,crank pully,No AC.

other mods..373 gears,.Mickey Thomson street slicks..shorty headers,H-pipe,Flowmasters, heavy duty tranny and clutch,motor mounts,control arms, fiberglass hood,pro 5.0 shifter,msd shift light.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I don't really have any experience with slicks but what I've been told is that you go off the burnout. light on the edges less air light in the center from cupping more air. Or just trial and error until you find what works best for you. I don't think anyone will be able to tell you exactly because its all what works for you depending on your elevation, temp, track, weight...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok thanks for replies,..i guess with lower air pressure, it would grab off the line better but also make the car a bit more sluggish finishing with a lower trap speed...I guess i will wait to see the results.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
You'll have to find what exactly works the best, but start 18-20 psi and go from there. It'll depend not only on the car but also what you're comfortable with.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
I've been running mine at around 18PSI. There are A LOT of factors to consider when determining how much air pressure to use. But I would start with 18-20 like everyone else said.

PS- Stock heads + aftermarket cam = :headscratch::headscratch::nono:
Is it a Ford Racing cam???
I'm really not trying to be an a$$, so please don't take offense, I just don't understand the logic in changing the cam if you still have the E7 heads...

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
The engine is mostly stock,..but has a cam,65 throttle body, 1.6 rockers,..cold air speed density intake,.flex fan, 14 degrees timing,.felpro gaskets,.msd distributor,accel coil,..new wires and new plugs...bypassed smog,crank pully,No AC.

Wait... you bypassed the crank pulley??? You get another one of these ---> :headscratch:

:hihi:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.