Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving down main street a few days ago and a loud bang resonated from my undercarriage, I pulled over and I found this beautiful looking hole spewing oil everywhere. Oil pressure is zero and my transmission is still functional as far as i can tell, so I'm wondering if anyone can tell me exactly what this busted part is and about how much it runs to replace. Thanks for your time

Attachments

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
serious?

looks like oil pan and rod/piston = a lot of $

hard to tell from pics and I don't understand the transmission is still functioning bit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I wasn't sure exactly what I was looking at (given the location of the piece and spur of the moment I thought something came flying out of the transmission and punctured whatever that piece was). The next day I went to go have it towed home but I thought i'd try to start it; it ignited and I drove it the mile or so to my apartment, where it resides currently. So you're suggesting that the engine threw a rod and it traveled down through the oilpan and out of the vehicle? geebus

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It does run. I drove it about two miles from where I parked it at the first sign of problems to home. That being said the check engine light started flashing half way during the trip. From what I could tell it just sounded like an unmuffled engine: really loud firing but it was still syncopated

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Looks like a new motor to me. For what ever reason you shot a piston through the oil pan and by driving it with out oil id say it is more damaged now. The flashing cel is due to a misfire so bad that it could damage your cat system, hence missing piston. Either way you go the engine will have to be removed from the vehicle to replace the oil pan and inspect for further damage. Good luck

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
I would say not to drive it, but it's too late now. Damage is done. The engine needs rebuilt or replaced.

·
Registered
8 Posts
theres two possibilities i can see: Either A, which is what everyone in here seems to think, you threw a rod and basically murdered your engine. or possibility B which is what I'm inclined to believe, your oil burned too hot and pressure blew out your oil well. this can happen if you have a small crack or internal degradation of your oil well. its still a pricey repair but nowhere close to the price of a new engine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts