Ford Mustang Forum banner

What are some the little features most owners never know about?

2449 Views 21 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  texastang
I have a 2006 GT and I have owned it since 2008 and just realised today that the seats go down. I feel like an idiot since I had lugged a bunch of cumbersome things around all these years (Most stuff being my military things.) and slept in the seat instead of putting the seats down and turing it into a makeshift bed (Only 5'7" so it's doable.); this gets me thinking, if I didn't know about this feature, what else have I been missing out on all these years? I love being able to make the most out of my car, it is a pleasure to drive (Not in snow, naturally.) and when I have to sleep in it, it is my shelter. I hope there is more, because this was such an amazing (Albeit, minor) discovery today.
See less See more
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Same here bro. Had mine for around 4 months. I was lookin at someone elses 08 and he had his seats down. He had a good laugh at my reaction.
It's cool, I always kicked myself for not going with a used Land Rover Discovery, because I have to sleep in the car more than most people ever imagine or with a new and cheaper Honda Fit or some old used van. I got bored a little while ago and decided to climb on in and lay down on it, I am just at the height limit to use it as a makeshift camper. I'm likely the only guy around using a 2006 Mustang GT coupe for this, but I do a lot of strange things, at least other people think I do. :p I might make a post about this later, you know when it isn't snowing outside. Why not get rid of it for one of the aforementioned vehicles? I love my mustang and cant bear to part with it just yet. I digress, are there more of these secret little features in the car I have yet to learn about?
See less See more
I have a 2005 Mustang GT and one standard feature is that you can roll down both front windows (from outside the car) by simply holding down the unlock button on the remote for about 3-4 seconds. On a hot day I usually roll the windows down with the remote as I'm walking toward the car, and more than one person walking with me has asked "did you leave them rolled down?" I think this feature was deleted from later Mustangs for some reason.

You can also roll the side windows up from outside the car by turning the key in the door to the lock position and holding it. This is useful if I've left the windows cracked open to vent the car, but want to close it up completely because of rain or to lock it up for the night.

Bruce
See less See more
I have a 2005 Mustang GT and one standard feature is that you can roll down both front windows (from outside the car) by simply holding down the unlock button on the remote for about 3-4 seconds. On a hot day I usually roll the windows down with the remote as I'm walking toward the car, and more than one person walking with me has asked "did you leave them rolled down?" I think this feature was deleted from later Mustangs for some reason.

You can also roll the side windows up from outside the car by turning the key in the door to the lock position and holding it. This is useful if I've left the windows cracked open to vent the car, but want to close it up completely because of rain or to lock it up for the night.

Bruce

Just tried it on my car, you were right, it must have been removed as it didn't do anything to my car at all—other than unlock the car. Too bad, this would have been such a cool feature to have, but I assume Ford just cheaped out on it.
See less See more
Cool. I'm gonna try that in a couple of days when the rain stops.haha. "Sandy" is knocking at our door.
It wasn't until I replaced my cloth seat covers with leather that I discovered the rear seats pull down. Handy for putting long items into the trunk..
I think this feature was deleted from later Mustangs for some reason.
The feature was only available in early 2005. My buddy's 05 V6 (which has since been sold) had it however my '05 GT doesn't have it.

Pretty sure they removed it because people were having issues where the circuit was getting wet and the windows were going down during rain storms. IIRC the problem could be avoided by keeping the circuit/connections well coated in dielectric grease, but most regular consumers won't be doing that maintenance so they disabled the feature rather than having lots of customers with wet interiors :shigrin

I suppose all '05 cars may have had it originally (including mine) but IIRC there was some TSB or something and dealers could/would disable it in 2005 models. Idk if it was a different window control module that had to be installed or if it was just a computer setting that was adjusted... maybe a dealership could enable that feature again at a customer request.
See less See more
The only thing I've heard with any regularity is that some don't know that the rear cup holder has a removable bottom allowing for taller drinks.
The only thing I've heard with any regularity is that some don't know that the rear cup holder has a removable bottom allowing for taller drinks.
Beat me to it. Had my 2006 for a couple of years before discovering that little feature.
There is an undocumented submenu in the Shaker 500/1000.

Press and hold MENU and there will be an option to enable RDS.

Now you can get the text of the radio station and song title.
Oh yeah, I forgot there is a trunk release button under the )(&*^%$#%^
-- Corrupt Packet --
-- End Transmission --
Oh yeah, I forgot there is a trunk release button under the )(&*^%$#%^
-- Corrupt Packet --
-- End Transmission --
Where? Where? Oh, that was a good one..
Wait—What?

Beat me to it. Had my 2006 for a couple of years before discovering that little feature.
Are you telling me there is a rear cup holder in the back, not just the two between the front seats?
Are you telling me there is a rear cup holder in the back, not just the two between the front seats?
No.
I'm telling you the of the two between the front seats, one is forward and one is towards the rear.
I was at the drive in one day a few months back looking through the manual and noticed the sport mode. Can't say I like it though. Spirited driving to me is spinning the wheels.

2010 GT Premium, 3.73 stock, 5 speed, 20” Foose Machined Black Speed rims, Pypes able-back delete, yet unconfirmed Track Pack
See less See more
What is this sorcery you speak of.... :headscratch:

Here is my contribution:
Programming new Key FOB's:
1 - Cycle ignition on and off 8 times in 10 seconds ending in the on position - door locks will cycle indicating programme mode had been entered.
2 - Press any button on the key fob you want to program - door locks will cycle indicating FOB has been programmed. Repeat this for all additional FOBS.
3 - Turn ignition key to off position - locks will cycle twice to indicate programme mode exit.

Programming PATS Keys:
**You must have BOTH original keys for this to work
1 - Stick 1 of 2 original keys into the ignition and turn to on position for 5 seconds then remove
2 - Stick 2 of 2 original keys into the ignition and turn to on position for 5 seconds then remove
3 - Within 10 seconds stick new unprogrammed key into the ignition and turn to the on position - anti-theft light will blink twice indicating new key has been programmed.

-HD:bigthumbsup
See less See more
I was able to pull my seats down in the back of my 04 to access the trunk... who knew...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Bruce
Hmmm my 05 was built in october 04 and my windows don't roll down with the remote :(

I'm not saying it was aliens...bit it was aliens.
See less See more
Hmmm my 05 was built in october 04 and my windows don't roll down with the remote :(

I'm not saying it was aliens...bit it was aliens.
my car was built same dates as yours, i dont have that feature either, nor does our 06. theres also a little thing you can do to turn off the auto door locks when you put it in gear. that drove me crazy when i got the car.
See less See more
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.