Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would really like to gain some hp problem
Is I'm in az need to stay smog legal which way to go ?

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
mufflers wont affect smog. removing cats and adding longtubes would. any muffler would be legal in the smog category, but maybe not the sound category which isnt as big of a deal. its all personal preference man.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I would recommend the dual exhaust kit from NewTakeOff.com. sounds good, looks good, and is reasonably priced.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I like the gt take offs I have now. Long term, I may go Borla for deepness, or Corsa for lack of drone.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
ive got the mac boom tubes. absolutely LOVE them. get nothing but compliments and "holy s--t, what did you do to that thing!" looks from people. rest of my exhaust is stock. i would think they would sound fine a V6 too.

these are axle backs and totally smog legal. (easy install too)

BT2005 Mustang GT Boom Tube Exhaust

EDIT - no axle backs add HP. only way to add HP is long tubes or high flow H or X pipe. both of which wont pass emissions. some exhaust companies "claim" 5 to 10 hp. i seriously doubt it as the stock exhaust is not very restrictive. manifolds and cats are about the only restriction.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
mufflers wont affect smog. removing cats and adding longtubes would. any muffler would be legal in the smog category, but maybe not the sound category which isnt as big of a deal. its all personal preference man.
hey silver, been a while. i still like the gt mufflers, they idle and cruise quite, but sound great on the gas. its about how loud you want to get mostly, and how much you respect your neighbors :winks

·
Registered
1,749 Posts

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
hey silver, been a while. i still like the gt mufflers, they idle and cruise quite, but sound great on the gas. its about how loud you want to get mostly, and how much you respect your neighbors :winks
yeah mike whats up. im back.....

aaandddd....im about 2 seconds away from pulling the trigger on a pypes mid muffler system with muffler deletes and welded in m-80's....i just cant decide.

will i ever learn my lesson?

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
ive got the mac boom tubes. absolutely LOVE them. get nothing but compliments and "holy s--t, what did you do to that thing!" looks from people. rest of my exhaust is stock. i would imagine they would sound fine a V6 too. especially if the GT takeoffs sound good.

these are axle backs and totally smog legal. (easy install too)

BT2005 Mustang GT Boom Tube Exhaust
MAC's sound awesome on the GT! They also sound awesome on the OUTSIDE of the 4.0 v6, not so much on the inside, they DRONE so bad you will want to throw yourself from the car going at 60 mph to end your suffering. Also with the 4.0 you will loose lots of backpressure (not good!)

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
yeah mike whats up. im back.....

aaandddd....im about 2 seconds away from pulling the trigger on a pypes mid muffler system with muffler deletes and welded in m-80's....i just cant decide.

will i ever learn my lesson?
nice to see you back. now if we could locate shabu ;) the system sounds interesting, and to answer the last question, ha, of course not!
:rockon:

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
shabu is up and running. however keith is banned from AFM for some stuff that im sure i cant go into.

shabu is up and running, but theres something wrong with the tune so its not dialed in yet

·
Registered
4,217 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So that system works on the 4.0 ?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yeah, I had a single boomtube. It sounded great (as I'm sure duals would) but I lost a lot of torque with that thing. I'd be interested in hearing how that pypes mid muffler system sounds! :winks

·
Registered
328 Posts
Go with the dynomax dual exhaust kit with x pipe the system sounds mean!!! I got it off JEGS.com

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Yeah, I had a single boomtube. It sounded great (as I'm sure duals would) but I lost a lot of torque with that thing. I'd be interested in hearing how that pypes mid muffler system sounds! :winks
Well it's a good price. But my bank account would hate me. I really want to pick it up but I'm trying totalk myself out of it

·
Registered
531 Posts
catback dual borla stingers. best sounding exhaust imo

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Im sure the Borla Stingers sound good but for the Money I Love the GT Take Off Mufflers. They sound Great! I just recently put on the True Dual Kit form NTO with the GT Mufflers and Im so Pleased with the sound that Im even thinking about getting a second set of the GT Mufflers just to have for if and when I need them down the road.
There not to Loud and have a nice sound at Idle and they sound good at crusing and really good at WOT:gringreen I would'nt want anything Louder or Quieter. I see many 6 Cylinder Camaros drive by me and I Cant even hear there exhaust, My 6 sounds like a V8 (to me anyway) and I dont get anyone trying to get on me when they hear My 6, so to me that says enough about the GT Mufflers and the X Pipe I have now.
Mabey the Borla Mufflers do sound better, I dont know, all I know is that for what I have and the sound they make it's just what I was looking for, and the Price for the whole system I put on $299 was the Best Money I ever spent on My Mustangs Exhaust. I Will Buy another Set of GT Mufflers, befor there all gone for our V6's from the 2005-2009 S197's V8's

·
Registered
882 Posts
...I see many 6 Cylinder Camaros drive by me and I Cant even hear there exhausts....
I agree, most new 'muscle' cars, mustangs, camaros, even challengers, all sound so quite (yes I know there fast as all hell). I mean the sound of the engine roaring is so good, why deprive that?

·
Registered
717 Posts
I am really pleased with my GT take offs. They have a good sound without being too loud. If you want some volume, flowmaster 40's are a good choice. I saw a mustang with those on it and it sounds like a V8

1 - 20 of 23 Posts