Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are the stock gears on 93 5.0?? feel kinda dumb asking, but I don't really know what is in my car, it's mostly just stock other than exhaust...:shrug :help:

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
They came with different gears on some cars depending on transmissions (auto or manual).

The quickest way to find out is to look at the rear end tag if it's still on there.

If it isnt, you can raise the rear of the car while in neutral. After that mark a spot on the driveshaft with whiteout or something that will be visible when it turns. Have a buddy count the number of the driveshaft turns as you turn the wheels.

I like to turn the wheels 10 times and divide the number of driveshaft turns by 10 and you have your gear ratio. Ex. 37 turns = 3.73 gears, 35 turns = 3.55 and so on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a 93 coupe with a five speed manual tranny, the thing felt like a dog so I figured it was the gear ratio. Take a look at the door code and under axle if there is an "M" code you have 2.73's and from what i can remember a "Z" code is 3.08's...I don't believe there was any 3.27 offered that year but, i could be wrong...mine had the M code and 2.73's..I put in 3.55's and it made a real difference..

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so would 3.55's be the way to go if I'm not going to make the car too much of a beast, I'm only doing basic mods on it, just underdrive pulleys, cold air, and a more powerful alternator, and then just a really good tune up...distributor and rotor, plugs, pcv, fuel filter, thermostat, that kinda jazz haha

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh, and I looked on the inside of the door and I'm guessing that AX stood for axle and it had an M, so I take it their 2.73's?

·
Registered
13 Posts
The 355's with the stock 16 inch pony rims and stock rubber was what i had and that was the perfect gear in my opinion for all around performance and fuel economy on a stock motor. I was going to go 373's but I felt the motor needed to be done up a bit otherwise the 3.73 would just spin it up too quick and it would starve it out at the top end. As for axle codes on the door..yup if you have the "m" code you probably have 273's..great for highway though!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that's what I'll put on in the spring then when I start working again, cause at the moment, cash flow is very minimal at best haha, thanks for the info though, I appreciate it..:worship

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.