Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my first Mustang, a 2012 base V-6 convertible - great car! At the bottom of the center console storage bin are two odd-looking red nubs each in their own little cubby holes. I can't figure out what purpose they serve. Is there some part missing in the storage bin?

Here's a picture. Sorry for the lousy quality, but you should see what I'm talking about. The aux input and power port are to the left, and the bottom of the bin is to the right; I took the picture from the driver's seat.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Transmission Nipples, they tend to stick out more when it's cold. :)

Mine has a piece of pad/mat on it that will keep them warm and deaden rattles of stuff in the console. I'd cut a piece of rubber/mat/cardboard to flatten the bottom of the console. I'd assume console locating pins for on the assembly line

Welcome to AFM

Mud

·
Registered
473 Posts
Wait seriously - what the **** are those?

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Mine has a piece of pad/mat on it that will keep them warm and deaden rattles of stuff in the console. I'd cut a piece of rubber/mat/cardboard to flatten the bottom of the console. I'd assume console locating pins for on the assembly line
This...
Wait seriously - what the **** are those?
... and mounting studs for the rear of the center console. Take the nuts off and you can probably remove the console.

·
Registered
473 Posts
This...

... and mounting studs for the rear of the center console. Take the nuts off and you can probably remove the console.
Ah I see. I thought we discovered a secret dipstick to our trannys :grin:
Wouldn't surprise me with all of Ford's stupid placement of things. I believe my trunk release in my 01 and 03 were in the glove box!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Ah I see. I thought we discovered a secret dipstick to our trannys :grin:
Wouldn't surprise me with all of Ford's stupid placement of things. I believe my trunk release in my 01 and 03 were in the glove box!
A trunk release button in the glove box was standard practice on many makes and models of vehicles for many many many years. That is not a Ford thing.

·
Registered
168 Posts
A trunk release button in the glove box was standard practice on many makes and models of vehicles for many many many years. That is not a Ford thing.
That's where I installed mine in my '07 GT. Didn't even have one!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Not any I've been in. I do hope Ford will accept my sincerest apologies:boxing:

That's where I installed mine in my '07 GT. Didn't even have one!
I know! My 05 didn't have one either. I was just like - seriously?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think the idea was you could lock the glove box to prevent access to the trunk.

I also remember in the 70's having a separate key for the trunk and ignition.

Reactions: freewayflyer

·
Registered
493 Posts
With the trunk release on the center console, my dog would step on it and pop the trunk 3 out of 5 times getting out of the car. chores.gif

·
Registered
848 Posts
Very true. I have owned many Ford and Lincoln products from the late 60's to early 90's and if they had trunk releases(most of them did) then they were always in the glove box.
If I'm not mistaken as I understand it when trunk releases were first offered by Ford in the mid 60's they were a dealer installed option for the first few years that gave you a chrome lever cable release that mounted along the side of the driver seat. These are quite rare to find now and usually bring a lot of money when they sell used. I guess the later factory installed solenoid actuated ones were cheaper to produce, less intrusive, and more secure in a lockable glove box.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine has a piece of pad/mat on it that will keep them warm and deaden rattles of stuff in the console. I'd cut a piece of rubber/mat/cardboard to flatten the bottom of the console.
Thanks, Mud, that's a good idea. The original owner probably took the bottom piece out to wash it and forgot about it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
With the trunk release on the center console, my dog would step on it and pop the trunk 3 out of 5 times getting out of the car. chores.gif
That is kind of my issue with the current placement. My dog doesn't step on it, but I do bump it occasionally because I lay my phone or wallet over the top of it because its the only semi flat place to lay something.

I just wish there was some sort of small storage area that was readily accessible for things like phones/wallets if the drink holder is in use. The center console is obtrusive and putting stuff in the map pocket is asking to get your hand mangled trying to get it out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think the idea was you could lock the glove box to prevent access to the trunk.

now your really showing your age, I remember when there was a hand crank to start your engine :wink:

·
Registered
27 Posts
smiles

now your really showing your age, I remember when there was a hand crank to start your engine :wink:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts