Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 86 mustang that I'm doing a sn95 5 lug conversion on. I'm going to keep the rear drum...I think. Unless it's not as hard as I think. Lol. Well my bb is leaking so I need to replace. And my mc is orig so I want to replace as well. Which ones are recommended for sn95 brakes with drum in the rear?? Thanks

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, there's no need to change them unless you're swapping to rear disc. You can always try it after you swap the fronts and see how the pedal feels.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the brake booster is bad already so I need to change. Just wondering if there's one more suitable for the sn 95 brakes?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Unless you decide to do the rears as well the stock one should be fine. Chances are, you'll have problems trying to fit a larger booster. I tried to put a SN95 booster in my car to go with my Cobra brakes, but it wasn't going even after trying all the tricks. I think they changed the strut tower on the '90+ models. On the earlier cars its a crapshoot whether it will fit.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Should I just get the 87-93 booster? How about the master cylinder? Would an svo one be better or no?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
The boosters are the same from '79-93, except for the '93 Cobra, which I believe to be the same or similar to the SN95's. I think you'll have a really hard pedal if you swap the stock master cylinder out for a different one. I'd suggest leave it be for the time being. The SN95 V6/GT 11" front brakes aren't a huge step over the '87-93 V8 11" front brakes and the m/c bore size didn't change until the introduction of rear discs. So like I said earlier, unless you're going to go ahead and swap to rear disc as well, no need to upgrade the master cylinder.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well is it hard? I've read a lot of forums on it but I just don't understand brake components and fittings that well. And I dont want to swap rear ends cuz I have gears in my rear end already. What all is needed to swap the rear to disc? Any good clear write ups on it?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I didn't find it that hard. There were a few issues I had to resolve due to the differences in the '79-86 and '87-93 brake systems, but other than those, haven't had any problem since doing it 4 years ago. I did a write-up on what I did.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/5-0l-tech/108078-1979-1993-mustang-5-lug-disc-brake-swap.html

If you download the instruction manual from the Ford Racing website for the M-2300-K brake kit, it will explain the procedure. Now its for the '87-93 so there will be some steps that wont apply, my write-up should cover that.

I also used this website for info. I originally referenced it in my write-up, but the web address changed and I think it got deleted from my post.

87-93  Ford Fox Body Mustang Brake Upgrades

This should get you well on your way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts