Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
It all depend on your setup. If your bone stock and launch on slicks at 5k then it might last awhile, but who knows. If you stick to a drag radial or street tire it will last longer. I think the axels are the first thing to go. I have heard of guys running 400rwhp with no problems but that would constantly worry me.

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
the 8.8 put in the 96+stangs is not very strong... assuming you have sticky tires and a pretty good launch, you are at risk of bending/shearing an axle.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh because i have an 01 and i am supercharging it, but i have these slicks laying around and i just dont know if it can handle a launch with them on with the S/C

·
Registered
126 Posts
Throw a set of 28 spline chrome moly shafts in the axle and have fun. Buy a good brand like Moser, Strange, ect. and you will have no problems. If you want to upgrade buy 31 spline shafts but remember that you will have to change the diff to a 31 spline unit which will cost more plus buying a install kit for the diff. For all out racing there is a 33 spline conversion but it involves cutting the ends of the axle off to attach C-clip eliminators which can be done by any competent axle shop. Holcomb Motorsports has Moser axles with the ABS ring installed for around $259.00 & up depending on how you want them.

G

·
markwondi said:
the 8.8 put in the 96+stangs is not very strong... assuming you have sticky tires and a pretty good launch, you are at risk of bending/shearing an axle.
What he said. The more power, weight, and gear you add, the more you are at risk of breaking an axle. If you do, I recommend upgrading to 31 spline axles w/ c-clip eliminators.

·
Registered
573 Posts
green 01 said:
i was just wondering how much hp/torque the stock 8.8 rear end can handle.
So far my stock T45 & 8.8" are handling 451HP/430TQ just fine........I am more worried about the tranny than the Axels though.........But it is in the back of my head during launches on the street....
BUT
I am upgrading my axels anyways since I am puttin in the Blower cams & a Tremec TKO600.........I would suggest upgrading your axels if your over 400HP and on Slicks/Drag radials.......

G

·
I think the only reason my rear end held up was because I was always spinning the tires until I was in third going about 65+ mph. I was afraid to put a sticky tire on the car for fear of breaking the tranny or rear end.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
What these guys said is really good advice. Once you hit 400RWHP, those axles starting getting stressed really badly. If you get that much power and try to get it to the ground on slicks then it's only a matter of time. Go ahead and look into the shaft swap before getting the slicks.

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
Mana4Real said:
What he said. The more power, weight, and gear you add, the more you are at risk of breaking an axle. If you do, I recommend upgrading to 31 spline axles w/ c-clip eliminators.
I disagree... first off, c-clips eliminators will take away the ABS from the car, last thing you want on a street car. Moser, strange, etc will always machine the axles to accept the exciter rings for the ABS anytime you order axles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.