Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have posted months back about fighting this monster. I currently have my old intake setup and the car runs great but everytime I start the car after sitting a few days it has a lot of coolant coming from the exhaust(both sides but has X pipe). After the car warms a little it stops coming out of the exhaust.

The car does not overheat, the radiator does not push coolant into the reservoir. There is no coolant in the oil.

In your estimation what could stop leaking coolant after it warms up. Head? Intake? something else. I will most likely try to find someone to work on this for me as I am out of ideas.

Thanks!

·
Registered
82 Posts
i think that when you have ecess amount of fluid come out of the exhaust its cuz of the head gaskit. it may stop after it warms up due to the gaskit getting some moisture and swelling cuasing the leak to stop. this is just a suggestion and i am not 100% sure if this is the cause. correct me if i am wrong. good luck and let us know what was the cause.

·
Registered
960 Posts
it might just be because when your engine heats up it expands and that might cover up the leak were ever it is coming from

does it smell like antifreeze(has a sweet smell) or does it smell or look like water? it could possibly be condisation in the exaust

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was water

But the system never had actual antifreeze in it until yesterday (I was trying to wait until I got it to stop leaking). So I cant say for sure yet. When I drained the water out of the system to put the anitfreeze in it smelled weird. I don't know how to explain it but it smelled like exhaust. But I have had so many problems I just don't know anymore. It is just strange to me that it would seem to completely stop after warmup.

·
Registered
140 Posts
If it is a gasket, when the engine is hot it will expand and seal up any leaking gaskets when the engine is cold the engine shrinks and it's no longer expanded whick causes it to leak.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Like they said, when things heat up things expand and can temporarily stop a leak. Or in some case when things expand, leaks can happen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.