Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I need your help.

I had my whining 3.73 gears replaced under warranty. New ring and pinion, new bearings, new crush sleeve etc.

Ever since then, I've had a bad vibration above 85 km/h until around 120 km/h. The vibration is low frequency and audible. It feels as if I am sitting in a sub-woofer.

I feel it in my seat and in the door, as well as the mirror and windshield. I don't really feel it in the shifter. Happens whether the clutch is in or out. Acceleration and decleration.

The car was silky smooth before the gear swap.

The dealership has so far balanced my rear tires (to no effect, no surprise there).

They have also replaced my driveshaft. There was a small improvement following the driveshaft replacement, but the vibration is still there and very annoying. It makes the car next to undrive-able at highway speeds.

So. Any ideas what the culprit could be? I'm supposed to take it into the dealership for them to use some vibration analysis gizmo. After that I'm not sure what they will do.

The obvious answer is that something went wrong during the gear install. But what I have no idea.
Thanks

·
Registered
216 Posts
If the vibration changed when the driveshaft was changed then its still drive shaft related. Many things need to be done right. New bolts. Driveshaft angle if car is lowered. Driveshaft may need to be rotated 180 degrees.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I was thinking that it might still be driveshaft related, but I just can't figure out why there would be a driveshaft issue all of a sudden when everything was smooth before.

I'm thinking of putting in an aluminum driveshaft anyway, to see if that solves the problem. But I'm concerned that if it still vibrates afterward, that the vibration itself might damage the driveshaft.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheapest thing to do now is $0 cost - rotate the shaft 180 degrees
Okay thanks man. I'll ask the dealership to do that.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Have them check the pinion angle of the driveshaft... they may need to re balance your driveshaft.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
There is no way to accurately rebalance the factory driveshaft. That's why it has a big sign on it: If you drop it, get a new one.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To add to the mess the vibration is inconsistent. For instance, It will vibrate really badly at 115 kph, and then after I slow down and accelerate to 115 kph again it will be smoother.

No idea how this works.

·
Official Ford Rep
56 Posts
Alright guys, I need your help.

I had my whining 3.73 gears replaced under warranty. New ring and pinion, new bearings, new crush sleeve etc.

Ever since then, I've had a bad vibration above 85 km/h until around 120 km/h. The vibration is low frequency and audible. It feels as if I am sitting in a sub-woofer.

I feel it in my seat and in the door, as well as the mirror and windshield. I don't really feel it in the shifter. Happens whether the clutch is in or out. Acceleration and decleration.

The car was silky smooth before the gear swap.

The dealership has so far balanced my rear tires (to no effect, no surprise there).

They have also replaced my driveshaft. There was a small improvement following the driveshaft replacement, but the vibration is still there and very annoying. It makes the car next to undrive-able at highway speeds.

So. Any ideas what the culprit could be? I'm supposed to take it into the dealership for them to use some vibration analysis gizmo. After that I'm not sure what they will do.

The obvious answer is that something went wrong during the gear install. But what I have no idea.
Thanks
Do you have the appointment booked with the dealer, matthewr87? If so, please send me a private message with your full name, VIN, dealership information, an updated odometer reading, and your best daytime contact number. If you haven't booked the appointment to have this test done, I suggest making the arrangements and then sending that information my way.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Brittany

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you have the appointment booked with the dealer, matthewr87? If so, please send me a private message with your full name, VIN, dealership information, an updated odometer reading, and your best daytime contact number. If you haven't booked the appointment to have this test done, I suggest making the arrangements and then sending that information my way.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Brittany
Hey Brittany,

I am waiting for the dealership to call me back once they have the vibration tool. Thanks!

·
Official Ford Rep
56 Posts
Hey Brittany,

I am waiting for the dealership to call me back once they have the vibration tool. Thanks!
Sounds like a plan, matthewr87! Keep me posted with any updates that arise; I'll be on the lookout.

Have a great day!

Brittany

1 - 13 of 13 Posts