Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Realizing that the Wife will need another daily driver in the next year or so.......................a crazy thought just entered my head, one that I know she will be all over so I want to get a rough idea to see if it even remotely affordable before I tell her about it--she does NOT take disappointment well.

Thinking of a '64-'67 Mustang with a late model 5.0 motor and a T-5 or a Tremec. Not looking for a show car or a racer, just something that she could drive every day that would knock down decent mileage if we took it for a 200-300 mile summer trip. We can do most of the work ourselves including paint and interior so it doesn't have to be pretty when we get it but rust free would be a must ( I remember working with my Dad on several rust buckets over the years and it was never worth it). I'm sure that it would end up with an old school set of GT40 heads/intake and long tube headers with a 3.73 gear in the back (just like our '93 FOX started out with--and now it's knocking on the 8 second door and it'ts still street legal!!) but that would likely be all it would get as far as upgrades are concerned.

So....................the question is, what would I have to pay to find a rust free roller that needs paint and interior. And, how rare would a find like that be??

Thanks!!

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
So this would be for your wife :scratchchin :laugh:

·
Registered
234 Posts
I don't know about yours, but my wife would prefer jewelry :gringreen

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Interesting.

If my wife ever drove an F350, "easier to park" would be the least of our worries. I am sure a description of her trip would use the words "recovery operation" and "crane" somewhere.

My wife likes the idea of a 2010 Mustang vert V6 auto, but then her idea of working on something is to smear it with household cement or packing tape.

As far as your wife is concerned, if you are even considering going that far, my guess is she's already happy.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Well, I don't think a car like that would make a good daily driver come winter in Michigan. ;)

Don't know what she's been driving lately but a light weight rear wheel drive car would be a step backwards with most vehicles. These cars lack the corrosion resistence too, just a few years of the salt and you'll have holes all over the car.

Here in CT I'd never consider an older car like this for a year round everyday driver. The winter would take it's toll after a couple years and where I am it's very hilly and the car would be getting stuck often. I cleaned up and detailed a friend's 6 cyl 68 Mustang coupe that he had as an everyday summer driver here in CT but come winter the car was stored away and he used his Isuzu Rodeo. He split the insurance for 6 months on either vehicle. The Mustang was insured for May-Oct and then the Rodeo from Nov-Apr.

Something to consider.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Rust free roller and Michigan :headscratch: I lived their a short time, they don't do rust free.
Would you be willing to road trip??? There are lots of fairly cheap rust free or low rust cars here in CA, AZ, and NV just pop on craigslist not to long ago on craigslist i bought a roller v8 70 Sportsroof for $1,500 so their are still good deals out their.

Here are few in my neck of the woods.

1965 ford mustang 5.0 High Output (h.o.) automatic overdrive (a.o.d.) origonaly a 289 car (c) code the car is in prety good shape please call $1,800
(951)214-2732 thanks

1967 MUSTANG WITH A SIX UNDER THE HOOD NEEDS TLC $1,500
213 255 8755

68 mustang, 6 cylinder, suspension is set up for a v8, with an automatic transmission, new mag tires, good glass, very little rust. She runs really good, all she needs is a little body and interior work, complete classic car, perfect car to drive around while restoring. I'm asking 3000 obo. Just give me an email if you wanna view or if you have any question.

Those are just in the Inland Empire if you search L.A., Sacramento, San Fran, Las Vegas, there are thousands of cars out here...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I don't think a car like that would make a good daily driver come winter in Michigan. ;)

Don't know what she's been driving lately but a light weight rear wheel drive car would be a step backwards with most vehicles. These cars lack the corrosion resistence too, just a few years of the salt and you'll have holes all over the car.

Here in CT I'd never consider an older car like this for a year round everyday driver. The winter would take it's toll after a couple years and where I am it's very hilly and the car would be getting stuck often. I cleaned up and detailed a friend's 6 cyl 68 Mustang coupe that he had as an everyday summer driver here in CT but come winter the car was stored away and he used his Isuzu Rodeo. He split the insurance for 6 months on either vehicle. The Mustang was insured for May-Oct and then the Rodeo from Nov-Apr.

Something to consider.
I should of made it a little clearer........it would be a summer DD. Likely a May-October fun car. I'd pick up a winter beater so she could do the 3 "commute" to work. We can usually find something good enough for a grand or so and then sell it in the spring.

Later,

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rust free roller and Michigan :headscratch: I lived their a short time, they don't do rust free.
Would you be willing to road trip??? There are lots of fairly cheap rust free or low rust cars here in CA, AZ, and NV just pop on craigslist not to long ago on craigslist i bought a roller v8 70 Sportsroof for $1,500 so their are still good deals out their.
No problem traveling since we have the F350 and a 26' hauler for the race car. We'd be fine with a 1000 mile trip for the right vehicle--Cali might involve getting a professional transport company simply because it might be cheaper than us doing it but I work for the airlines and can fly out there standby for very little $$. Thanks for the ads--looks like there are still decent buys out there--the present economy might have something to do with it also.

Later,

·
Registered
895 Posts
No problem traveling since we have the F350 and a 26' hauler for the race car. We'd be fine with a 1000 mile trip for the right vehicle--Cali might involve getting a professional transport company simply because it might be cheaper than us doing it but I work for the airlines and can fly out there standby for very little $$. Thanks for the ads--looks like there are still decent buys out there--the present economy might have something to do with it also.

Later,

There are always good deals out their when people were going all nuts at B/J and other auctions paying $100,000 for Mach 1's a few years ago I still found nice clean fastbacks, and nice coupes for under $2,500. I even still know where a GT/CS is sitting a old dairy for the last 20 years. The cars are still out there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There are always good deals out their when people were going all nuts at B/J and other auctions paying $100,000 for Mach 1's a few years ago I still found nice clean fastbacks, and nice coupes for under $2,500. I even still know where a GT/CS is sitting a old dairy for the last 20 years. The cars are still out there.
That sounds great. I know that we are not in a rush at all so when the right car does pop up we will make the move. I'd love to find a clean '67 Fastback like my Dad had back in the '70's or a convertible.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I stumbled upon a 67 Stang in pieces sitting in a pole barn the other day and the pieces all looked solid. The only drawback is that it is a 6 cyl. The elderly gentleman wants to unload it along with other classic cars he owns including a 67 GTO 4 speed convertible with the big engine. That GTO is worth some real money.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I stumbled upon a 67 Stang in pieces sitting in a pole barn the other day and the pieces all looked solid. The only drawback is that it is a 6 cyl. The elderly gentleman wants to unload it along with other classic cars he owns including a 67 GTO 4 speed convertible with the big engine. That GTO is worth some real money.
Not a big deal to us as a motor swap would be planned anyway. What body style is the '67?? Any idea what he wants for it? I agree, that GTO is going to bring good $$.

·
Registered
198 Posts
It's a convertible but I haven't yet discussed what he would take for it. The doors, trunk lid, hood and seats are off of it but he has them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's a convertible but I haven't yet discussed what he would take for it. The doors, trunk lid, hood and seats are off of it but he has them.
Well, it's probably too soon to get serious (but if it's a great deal I might be interested) but if you hear what he needs or any other details, drop me a note. Funny, I was in Indy racing back in May--I assume by your location that it is in the area.

Later,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.