Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 stock gt auto and looking for some advice for upgrades to beat a trans am? I dont want to do nitrious so could somebody share some info. Thanks

·
Registered
214 Posts
Trans am's run low 13's down the quarter mile. Your going to need some heavy mods if you dont want to go the nitrous route. The general bolt ons will help but your going to need to go into your engine like heads and cams if you want to do it n/a. Superchargers are another route but those do cost a lot.

·
Registered
579 Posts
You need 375 whp to have a chance since your a automatic and you won't even get that with a supercharger without running 14-16psi. Your at probably 165 whp now.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
speedytang said:
You need 375 whp to have a chance since your a automatic and you won't even get that with a supercharger without running 14-16psi. Your at probably 165 whp now.
He doesn't need 375 rwhp to beat a stock LS1 Trans-am. They are only putting 290-300 at the wheels so that is what he is going to need. He is actually closer to 185 rwhp right now.

1. A supercharger or turbocharger will get you the hp you need or....

2. You can get a PI intake, aftermarket cams, and port your heads.

Either one of these should get you the power you need to keep up.

·
Registered
579 Posts
With a Automatic he is going to need every bit of 375 whp if the Trans am is a 6 speed.
Don't give the guy false dreams because he need to put $3k in that car to even match a stock Trans Am.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
speedytang said:
With a Automatic he is going to need every bit of 375 whp if the Trans am is a 6 speed.
Don't give the guy false dreams because he need to put $3k in that car to even match a stock Trans Am.
An auto is only going to slow him down in the 1/4 by about 3-5 tenths, less if he has a handheld tuner and a higher stall converter. You underestimate automatics.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Automatics aren't that bad compared to sticks. And unless your great with a manual trans, you wont have too much of an advantage. But i agree that he will need to spend at least a couple of grand to come close to matching a trans am. If i were him id invest in some heads ($1000), cams ($600), LT headers ($700), change out the whole exhaust system ($600), get underdrive pullies ($150), cold air intake w/bigger MAS ($250), throttle body ($150), intake plenum ($160), some 3.73s or 4.10s ($200), and a custom tune w/chip ($600). Installation is going to cost you quite a bit also. This shoud get him flying past a stock Trans Am.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I just purchased my son a 95 Camaro 6speed for $4200 and your going to have that in parts to catch one. You can try to make a lemon look like peach..but it is going to still taste like a lemon. Go chase Honda's just make sure they are not Vtecs are you will be looking at that ugly location of a license plate. Like many you better off selling the pre 99 cars and buying the 99+ with the upgraded engine or a 96+ Cobra. All of this I understand sounds negative but money is hard to earn and it is getting harder for most to put money in a car that you can never get out of it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks

Thanks for all of your help. I planned on putting $2000 at the start but from all this it seems i might be putting more. Would it be a better investment if i sold my car and got a 99+ or a cobra?

·
Registered
48 Posts
mattbachota said:
Thanks for all of your help. I planned on putting $2000 at the start but from all this it seems i might be putting more. Would it be a better investment if i sold my car and got a 99+ or a cobra?
about a month ago, I sold my 98 GT and got my fabulous new 02. Completely stock you can tell a big difference between the two and with the bolt-ons that I have added it makes a huge difference. The 99+ 4.6 responds way better to bolt-on adjustments due to the heads. IMO it would be better to get yourself and a 99+ because you would have to spend $2000 just to get equal and then much more to get more performance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a friend who has a 98 trans am which he ran a 13.7 and my boss has a 98 firebird not formula b/c he didnt like all the stuff that came on the formula but it has a v8 in it. I didnt know that they made some like that but he got it specially made for him and theyre both 6 speeds.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay i have decide to go with nitrious to make it easier for me. What is a good kit, good price, and where can i find it. Also if i change the exhaust system,get underdrive pullies,cold air intake, throttle body, and intake plenum would it be enough to beat one? Thanks Matt

·
Registered
48 Posts
Matt, I was thinking about going nitrous myself, so I made a thread "To Nitrous or not to Nitrous" there has been some good input on it. It has made me change my mind entirely about going with nitrous. It seems to me that there is just to much room for error with nitrous and I don't want to have to rebuild my engine any time soon. there are also a couple of good recommendations for the kits to get if you still want to go with nitrous.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Hey, i have a PI 02 mustang so i got some HP advantage over u but.. right no i can run with on the roll from like 30mph or 40, and definately pulled on him off the line till about almost top of 3rd when he starts to creep near, and i dynoed at 251hpand 293tq to wheels.

with close to 300to wheels you could take any ls1 fbody, or at least give them a run for the money.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I raced my friends auto ls1 trans am the other day and he made me look pretty silly. Plus i had some really bald tires at the time. Those things are a lot faster than you think especaily when they hit 3rd gear. If your not ahead of them by third dont even try haha.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Don't waste your time and money with all the little bolt ons (Underdrives, CAI, TB and plenum), you need big power. First you need a full PI headswap (you will gain 50-60 horse at the crank). Then you will still need a 50-75 shot to even come close, and thats if the LS1 is stock. Lets face it I love my 97, but it just doesn't compare to any LS1 car....unless you spend big bucks on it. BTW the PI headswap kit cost about $1300 and a basic nitros kit is about $500, also factor in some dyno time and chip/programmer for another $500. Then you will want gears and exhaust to take advantage of all the extra grunt, another $1000 or so.....Even though the 94-98s are better looking, your better off starting with a 99+ GT or 96+ Cobra.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.