Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i would like to change my speedo from stock 85 mph to a white face 140 mph on my 88 gt convertible. what needs to be done after i buy the white face? are there tech thing that need to be done?

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
So are you replacing an 85 MPH speedometer with a 140 MPH speedometer and applying the white face to the 140 OR are you applying a white 140 MPH speedometer face to an 85 MPH speedometer?

·
Registered
119 Posts
you will have to find a speedo out of an 89-90 lx/gt or up to a 90 ssp. they had the 140's. all you need is the speedo itself. the rest of your gauges are the same. the 91-93 140's are not a direct swap. after you get a 140 speedo then you can get the white face gauge overlay.

·
Registered
941 Posts
what do you need to do to get the 140 gauge in place of the 85 ?i thought they just fit right in.....

G

·
if you buy an aftermarket 140 or up speedo the company will re calibrate it and re face it and send it back to you it only takes a couple days i should get mine back anytime now and its alot cheaper than finding a 140 on ebay or anywhere else

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i bought a stock 140 cluster with the white face. put it in and i think i need to shange the gear. because the gauges are the same on the inside so i think its the gear. so please help me to understand.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you will have to find a speedo out of an 89-90 lx/gt or up to a 90 ssp. they had the 140's. all you need is the speedo itself. the rest of your gauges are the same. the 91-93 140's are not a direct swap. after you get a 140 speedo then you can get the white face gauge overlay.

not true. i wasted 120 dollars on this experiment:nono:

·
Registered
246 Posts
If you already bought the 140 gauge you can swap backing of the 140 mph gauge off and put it on the 85 mph gauge and take the 85 mph sticker off and put the 140mhp sticker on. I say this because when I tried to put a 140 mph gauge on mine the 140 mph gauge for the later 1989 models and up do not fit directly into the gauge cluster. At least it wouldn't when I did it.

If you do it my way though you have to calibrate it because to swap the stuff over you have to take the needle off. I calibrated mine my self by driving past a road caution that tells how fast you're going. Took me three tries to get it right. But conviently I work on a military base and they always have a speed radar sign on this one road.

(You can always pay someone to do it if there's no way for you to test it)

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
i bought a stock 140 cluster with the white face. put it in and i think i need to shange the gear. because the gauges are the same on the inside so i think its the gear. so please help me to understand.
Specifics would be nice......

ebay link for what you bought?

part number on the 85 MPH speedometer you replaced (on the black gauge face, starts with E7ZF) and part number on the 'new' one?

pics?

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
not true. i wasted 120 dollars on this experiment:nono:
blown347ranger is a year off. The cluster was redesigned for the '90 model year.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
That's a '90-'93 non-SSP cluster yet the seller said it came from his '88. Hmmmmm... (That type of interchange will function with some minor modifications but it is not "plug-and-play".)

Now, is that speedometer an original 140 MPH or is it an 85 MPH with a 140 face?

The seller included the wrong ('87-'89) white faces for that cluster.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's a '90-'93 non-SSP cluster yet the seller said it came from his '88. Hmmmmm... (That type of interchange will function with some minor modifications but it is not "plug-and-play".)

Now, is that speedometer an original 140 MPH or is it an 85 MPH with a 140 face?

The seller included the wrong ('87-'89) white faces for that cluster.
it is an 85 with a 140 face

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
So someone took a 2.3L LX speedometer and put a 5.0L LX/GT face on it?

The only 85 MPH speedometers in that style of cluster (concaved bottom, to clear the redesigned air bag steering colum) were in the 2.3L LX. All 5.0Ls in that style of cluster had either a 140 MPH (5.0L non-SSP) or a 160 MPH (SSP) speedometer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
you can only use a cluster out of an 87 or 88 nothing else will work I am not sure if you can change just the speedo out with anything else the 87 and 88 have an extra ciruit board attached to the back what it does ?????

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
you can only use a cluster out of an 87 or 88 nothing else will work
Correction......that should be '87-'89.

And '90-'93 clusters WILL work if you make some wiring changes in the harnesses. It involves swapping a few wires between the two harnesses.

OR you can put a '90-'93 speedometer in an '87-'89 cluster with some minor modification to the cluster housing and the speedometer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.