Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That seems to be a good number to me. I was wondering what all I could do to see that kind of power. I have a few mods planned already, like CAI, dual exsaust, and a tuner. What else could I do to get that kind of power.

Keep in mind that the previous owner did some suspension work already. He did new shocks, springs, tower braces, and subframe connectors. He was planing for this to be a project car, and his wife bought him a new GT500 for Christmas. And yes, I asked if his wife had a sister, no she didn't.:so

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
That seems to be a good number to me. I was wondering what all I could do to see that kind of power. I have a few mods planned already, like CAI, dual exsaust, and a tuner. What else could I do to get that kind of power.

Keep in mind that the previous owner did some suspension work already. He did new shocks, springs, tower braces, and subframe connectors. He was planing for this to be a project car, and his wife bought him a new GT500 for Christmas. And yes, I asked if his wife had a sister, no she didn't.:so
250 WHP is approximately 315 hp at the crank. It's doable NA but it will take a lot of work and won't be very streetable (for most people - I know a bunch of people are going to argue with me)- best bet to get there with a minimum of invasive surgery is forced induction.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Supercharger
Turbocharger
Nitrous Oxide
Motor [4.2L crank , ported H/I, Cam, exhaust, ]]

And 250 hp is VERY streetable! What are you thinking about sir!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Supercharger
Turbocharger
Nitrous Oxide

agreed, what numbers are you pushing 232?

I will be pushing over 300 to the wheels in a month or so :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I didn't realize that there would be that much of a difference between [email protected] & rwhp.:headscratch:

I just looked up the stock #'s for my year. It said that the V6 has 190hp and the GT has 260hp.

So lets make that the new number, what would I have to do to get 260HP (or a little more:D) @ the crank? As I said before, my plans so far are a CAI, dual exsaust, and a tuner.

Any advice would help, Thanks.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Supercharger
Turbocharger
Nitrous Oxide

I knew someone would jump in.

250 crank or wheel hp?

Out of an NA engine, it's going to be very peaky at 300 hp. my 68 302 made 325 whp, and it was on the edge of streetability as I define it. My 390 Cougar was not streetable.

Streetability (for me) is the point at which you'd think twice about giving to keys to your 16 year old sister, mom, or a prospective buyer.

Forced induction is the easiest was to keep it streetable. N2O, SC, or Turbo .. .

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
I knew someone would jump in.

250 crank or wheel hp?

Out of an NA engine, it's going to be very peaky at 300 hp. my 68 302 made 325 whp, and it was on the edge of streetability as I define it. My 390 Cougar was not streetable.

Streetability (for me) is the point at which you'd think twice about giving to keys to your 16 year old sister, mom, or a prospective buyer.

Forced induction is the easiest was to keep it streetable. N2O, SC, or Turbo .. .
What's up buddy? I've gone in a different direction with my '01 for the time being......

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I agree with you about the streetability issue. Everyone seems to think that having an N/A V6 with 250-300rwhp is going to be some awesome and fun car to drive. I don't think it would be anywhere near fun to drive. By that time you are going to have a very highly ported set of heads and intake along with a fairly aggressive cam and a tune that is not going to make dd fun at all in the car. It might make ok power but it won't be a fun car to drive around unless you are racing it often.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
What's up buddy? I've gone in a different direction with my '01 for the time being......

Everything and nothing!

Which direction are you going, Shiner?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As I said before, I didn't realize there was so much differance between rwhp & [email protected].

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
The general rule is if it is an auto you have a 15-18% drivetrain loss and if it is a manual then a 12-15% drivetrain loss. Every car differs with the amount of hp it makes and the amount of drivetrain loss it suffers though.

So if you have an auto just take roughly 15-18% of the crank hp away and that is roughly what you would have at the rear wheels. Same for the manual.

Their are a few ways of getting that percentage to go down such as Aluminum flywheel and driveshaft and UDP's and a few other little things but that is the general rule.

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
Everything and nothing!

Which direction are you going, Shiner?
I threw a 75 shot on the '01. I'm going to see how long it lasts. Delk tuned it for me, so I know it's safe. Been blowing away alot of cars at the track with it. There's some videos somewhere in here on it. It's launching well on DR's with the 7.5 and FR t-lock. Not sure how much longer they will last, but whatever. GTEATER's car is done-641rwhp on his setup. He didn't want to push it further at this time because he just wants it home, but it can go much, much higher. Matt at Delk is at 667rwhp.

Here is a picture of my launches: PhotoReflect - Indie Images

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
The general rule is if it is an auto you have a 15-18% drivetrain loss and if it is a manual then a 12-15% drivetrain loss. Every car differs with the amount of hp it makes and the amount of drivetrain loss it suffers though.

So if you have an auto just take roughly 15-18% of the crank hp away and that is roughly what you would have at the rear wheels. Same for the manual.

Their are a few ways of getting that percentage to go down such as Aluminum flywheel and driveshaft and UDP's and a few other little things but that is the general rule.
the 3.8L's have a LOT of rotational mass, add 5% to your estimates, from what I've generally seen.

Cheap wheels/tires & heavy flywheel, & crank designed for minivan duty really drag it down . . .

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I apprechiate the replies, but no one has answered the question of what could I do to get 250 or 260hp at the crank?

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
I threw a 75 shot on the '01. I'm going to see how long it lasts. Delk tuned it for me, so I know it's safe. Been blowing away alot of cars at the track with it. There's some videos somewhere in here on it. It's launching well on DR's with the 7.5 and FR t-lock. Not sure how much longer they will last, but whatever. GTEATER's car is done-641rwhp on his setup. He didn't want to push it further at this time because he just wants it home, but it can go much, much higher. Matt at Delk is at 667rwhp.

Here is a picture of my launches: PhotoReflect - Indie Images
Jeez! Did your son ever get his done?

Someone should plug GT to the Mags, is he on CarDomain?

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Yeah, it's kind of done. He needs a tranny and he's only running 3psi right now.
I installed the turbo over Christmas break. Here is the video along with a few other's he's taken on our cars:
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
Is he going 5 or 6 speed?

I've been here 6 months and put less than 1K on my car - pretty big difference from 40K a year . . .

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
I apprechiate the replies, but no one has answered the question of what could I do to get 250 or 260hp at the crank?
Port your heads and intake, do all the bolt-ons, and add a hot street cam. You'll need to add an intake spacer, since the big restriction is the volume in the plenum, and flow on the intake side, the exhaust is good.

That'll get you close enough.

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
He's not sure what he wants. It has a C4 in it now but it needs to be rebuilt. We only need to upgrade injectors, regulator and 11psi spring and it would be ready to put on the dyno. A couple hours work at the most once he decides on a tranny.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.