Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since i have a black stang,..im thinking of getting Xenon's smoked tail lights. How are they installed. Is it hard to see light when braking, and turn signals?

·
Registered
767 Posts
I cannot answer any of your installation questions or how well the light shows through them. I can offer a bit of advise though. Check your local vehicle inspection laws and DOT requirements on tail lights before you fall in love with them. In the state I live in ( Texas ) it states very specifically that tail light lenses "must appear red in color". Now obviously this is subjective to the opinion of the person doing the yearly inspection, or the mood of the cop following you. Just saying... They fall under the same catagory as smoked headlight covers. May never get stopped or questioned about them, but that doesn't make them legal.

Now from a personal standpoint about them :thumbdown

·
Registered
336 Posts
  • Tacky!
  • Gorpy!
  • Ugly!
  • Cheap!
Why do people want to ruin the looks of a beautiful car like the 05/06 Mustang by tacking plastic gunk on them? True customization often looks good, but tacky stick-ons don't!

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
That would be the last place I would want darker :nogrinner

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
i agree with all of the above... dont put blackouts on your car.. you drive a mustang.. not a chevy truck! here in OK every country hick chevy owner has black out taillights or those even stupidier ones with the bowties along with visors and cab farings.....if you do blackouts your might as well put "LUND" stickers on it also...... and maybe a bowtie...

·
Registered
403 Posts
if asking for opinions, :thumbdown

these things always looked kinda cheep to me. most of the ones Ive seen you can even see the goofy tape holding them on...

2 other thoughts-
1) I'd prefer lights bright as possible to keep from ever being rearended
2) if rearended with these, you could be blamed if the other guy had a good lawyer.

oops- did I just say 'good' and 'lawyer' in the same sentence...must be tired...

·
Registered
403 Posts
suggestion to consider- intend on doing this to mine-

mask/paint the gaps between lenses to make the separation more pronounced, and tie it in to the taillamp panel a bit more(I plan on semigloss black taillamp panel/wing/rockers on vista blue). there are tape kits out there for this, but my guess is a carwash might blow it off.

I painted the separation on my 85 camaro lenses and the headlight buckets the day I brought it home(looked just like z28 taillamps) had the car 20 years, held up just fine. I'd masked/scuffed with scotchbrite/used krylon engine paint- looked factory, never came off. wish the factory blue would have been as good- started blowing off at 2 years old...

get a rear pic of your car and photoshop separation lines on- see what you think...

·
Registered
308 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
I went with the vinyl. My car's theme is dark and sinister. I wouldn't put the GTS covers on but the overlays retain a semblance of red and don't cut down the light too much. Even the backup lights remain useful. Here's a pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
359 Posts
I would agree with 2horseowner, the overlays look great. One thing that can alse be done is to change the bulbs for brighter LEDs if you are concerned with light-loss.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Fryguy_pa said:
I would agree with 2horseowner, the overlays look great. One thing that can alse be done is to change the bulbs for brighter LEDs if you are concerned with light-loss.
must agree- that does look better, especially with the black center panel- LED's are good idea too :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well considering my GT is black.. thought dark smoked would look nice..i think they do.:eyebulge:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think they look slick. I'm putting them on all my lights and the trunk panel on sunday. I don't want to paint stripes on the car, I think the black on white is going to break it up nicely and look great with my limo-tinted windows. I'll post pictures once it's done. I kinda like the overlays, but they're not black enough for my taste.

I dunno how they're gonna look on a black car. I saw an all black camaro the other day including the black light covers. It kinda looked like a blackhole, and not in a good way.

The great thing about mustang drivers though is their willingness to customize. Mod it out, dress it up, make it yours. The opinions of others should matter little.

·
Registered
607 Posts
IMO, the tail light covers are awesome! I have both the headlight and tailight covers on my '05 black GT and they look great. The tail light covers are applied with 3m tape so you can take them on and off very easily. And as light goes, I don't believe they take away much light. I drive with the the tail light covers on daily. And I get compliments at the car shows often from them. I will try to post some pics of them on if my computer works right.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I have the vinyl overlays and really like them... Put them on beginning of March and they've held up great! I've also been through every state between Michigan and Florida... No problems!

Here's my write up including pics with one side done and one side not, with and with out the brakes on:

http://www.tammyandjohn.com/Mustang/Screaming/Mustang.htm#taillights

Also... a before and after:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
can the tint vinyls come off if needed?? and how much were they?? do they have a darker tint for them?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I made my own vinyls and I think they turned out great. I just used 20% "vinyl" tint and it has to be vinyl or you'll have alot of trouble. I got it from Autozone and everything that I needed was only 20 bucks. I used this on my 99 and my 05 and it has worked great. I painted the inner part of the bezels that the tint doesn't cover and it makes the taillight look completly black but plenty visible when the brakes are hit. I don't have any great pics since Im not home right now but heres a few I do have.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts