Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want my pony to be able to beat STI's and EVO's in the 1/4 and hopefully the 1/8.

Here are my current mods:

Brand new 5.0 roller motor
Cobra upper and lower with a HUGE spacer (like 1.5")
A/C delete
Smog pump delete
Off road H-pipe (i think its 2 1/2 inch but could be bigger)
Long tube equal length headers
Unknown mufflers (look like hi flows)
MSD coil and ignition module
Sub frame connectors
EGR delete
Cobra Wheels
Possible gt40 iron heads (unsure)
New clutch (I don't think its a performance one, just brand new)

There could be more that I forgot or don't know about...

Im not looking to do anything super drastic as this will be my dd.

What to do????

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
First off dump the spacer, its killing your low end torque. Also make sure your exhaust is not bigger than 2.5 or its helping kill your low end torque. Next step would be a 3g alt and electric fan along with weight loss. Or you could do some TFS 170 heads and a cam. (< this is your best bet but cost $1500 in parts) I dont know how much you spin but tires may be n order too along with tubular control arms in the rear.

GT40 heads have III stamped in the front and GT40P have IIII

·
Registered
212 Posts
Why do people act as if sti's and evo's are gods. they're not! I've driven a 2010 evo and im not impressed. Thank you very much :kooky:

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Juice that baby and say bye bye:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First off dump the spacer, its killing your low end torque. Also make sure your exhaust is not bigger than 2.5 or its helping kill your low end torque. Next step would be a 3g alt and electric fan along with weight loss. Or you could do some TFS 170 heads and a cam. (< this is your best bet but cost $1500 in parts) I dont know how much you spin but tires may be n order too along with tubular control arms in the rear.

GT40 heads have III stamped in the front and GT40P have IIII

Really? I thought it would help because its keeping the upper intake cooler.

Can anyone tell me some simple weight loss tricks (or post a link)
I have ditched some sound dampening stuff, but I'm skeptical about removing panels, I want my interior to be nice for when I pick up the ladies :winks

As far as spray, would a 50 shot be sufficient? I don't want too much power to handle.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
get rid of air conditioning and smog pump if you dont have to pass emissions. Take out front sway bar if you dont mind a slightly looser handling. Take out the carpet with all the sound dampner on it and put in new bare carpet, or remove the sound dampner from your carpet. move the battery to the back (no weight loss but good for traction launching).

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Plenty of weight loss tricks you can do, we get this question at least once a week.

As for what you need to do to beat an STI or EVO, I too wonder why they're being so intimidating. You should be close as it is, pair a good set of heads with that Cobra intake and then a good suspension to plant your power, you'll be beating them then.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The STI's and EVO's aren't that fast. I do believe the WRX STI is the faster of the 2 unmolested. It does around mid 13's in the quarter with the EVO in the high 13's. I whooped a WRX STI with my first stroker motor no problem. With that setup I was only putting out around 295 rwhp. These import cars are not lite! They weigh about the same as a standard Fox body, more in some cases and have less torque to get them moving. Against my new motor these guys are like swatting flies ROFL! :gringreen

Figure you are gonna need around 260 rwhp to beat them providing you don't need a diet.

Robert

·
Registered
336 Posts
Against my old motor same thing.......:smartass:
That's just on motor :D

IF I add in my Nitrous shot it is like Nuking flies ROFL!:run_over:

Robert

R

·
0 Posts
That's just on motor :D

IF I add in my Nitrous shot it is like Nuking flies ROFL!:run_over:

Robert

I agree.....:rollgrin::rollgrin::rollgrin:

But every so often if you spray the bugs it keeps the others away......:smartass:

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
my neighbor had an all out custom EVO before the 10' camaro TT. it had like 900rwhp and the thing flew. but i remember when he took me for a ride in it before all the mods and the thing was just about as fast as my moms buick at the time (not that fast at all). i think with maybe gears, subframes, and a few other suspension mods youll be hanging with the stock STI and EVOs and with a good H/C/I, youll be hangin with the modded ones.

·
Registered
607 Posts
They are definetly pretty cool cars, but a brand new one will run you around 35 - 40 grand when its all said and done. Not to mention I'm sure everyone is sick of hearing about how cool and fast they are. They are quick, but the subaru 2.5 has some serious head gasket issues. The evos are overpriced and they arent really all that quick stock for the cost.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Well I would suggest drag radials and gears.

·
Registered
887 Posts
You have to remember these few things....
A) Your car is MUCH older then the evo and sti.
B) Both are AWD, you are RWD
C) They have a turbo, while you are naturally aspirated...whether it has 10 hp less, or 100 hp less than you, it will have no problem keeping up because it has constant boost going to it, while you're motor has to work simply off the torque and horsepower.
Taking those all into consideration, either of the cars compared to a stock 5.0 is unfair. Having some basic mods to keep up with/beat one of them is VERY fair. I lost to a 500 hp STI, but not too much, and he was all bragging. So I says to him, well how about you take your turbo off to make it a fair race. He quieted down a little. Then I said better yet keep your turbo on, and let me put a supercharger on my mustang....he was speechless.

·
Registered
607 Posts
You have to remember these few things....
C) They have a turbo, while you are naturally aspirated...whether it has 10 hp less, or 100 hp less than you, it will have no problem keeping up because it has constant boost going to it, while you're motor has to work simply off the torque and horsepower.
Even though they are turboed, 100hp is a lot to have over your opponent, unless you weigh a ton more or are a begginer driver I'd say the race is called. Just because a car is turboed doesn't mean it will keep pulling forever. At some point the wastegate opens because the turbo is building too much pressure and its either that,or destroy the motor. Turbo cars work off torque and horsepower as well using the principals of an N/A motor, they simply have an air pump that pumps air into their cylinders (more than the engine could draw in itself).

Taking those all into consideration, either of the cars compared to a stock 5.0 is unfair. Having some basic mods to keep up with/beat one of them is VERY fair. I lost to a 500 hp STI, but not too much, and he was all bragging. So I says to him, well how about you take your turbo off to make it a fair race. He quieted down a little. Then I said better yet keep your turbo on, and let me put a supercharger on my mustang....he was speechless.
I myself view a turbocharger as a working part of the engine. There is a difference between stating "race me without the bottle" and "race me without your turbo / super chrger" On a car like the STI, if the turbocharger were to be removed, the compression would most likely be so low that the car would not be able to get out of its own way. The turbo charger is an integral working part of the engine. It works both ways as well. I hate hearing "well I beat you and I have half the cylinders!!" even though my car is 20 years older and they have a fairl sized snail bolted on. But stating "you'd be nothing without your turbo", although probably true, is in my opinion, like stating to me "you'd be nothing without your camshaft" which would also be true

·
Registered
887 Posts
Even though they are turboed, 100hp is a lot to have over your opponent, unless you weigh a ton more or are a begginer driver I'd say the race is called. Just because a car is turboed doesn't mean it will keep pulling forever. At some point the wastegate opens because the turbo is building too much pressure and its either that,or destroy the motor. Turbo cars work off torque and horsepower as well using the principals of an N/A motor, they simply have an air pump that pumps air into their cylinders (more than the engine could draw in itself).

I myself view a turbocharger as a working part of the engine. There is a difference between stating "race me without the bottle" and "race me without your turbo / super chrger" On a car like the STI, if the turbocharger were to be removed, the compression would most likely be so low that the car would not be able to get out of its own way. The turbo charger is an integral working part of the engine. It works both ways as well. I hate hearing "well I beat you and I have half the cylinders!!" even though my car is 20 years older and they have a fairl sized snail bolted on. But stating "you'd be nothing without your turbo", although probably true, is in my opinion, like stating to me "you'd be nothing without your camshaft" which would also be true
Yeah that's definitely better than what I said. I was kinda aiming at that but didn't completely know what I was talking about lol, so I gave it my best shot.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Yeah that's definitely better than what I said. I was kinda aiming at that but didn't completely know what I was talking about lol, so I gave it my best shot.
Reguardless though, STi's are quick cars, and it is easy to upgrade them by just cranking up the boost. Its like an extra 50hp for a few hundred bucks where as we have to buy H/C/I or forced induction. Either way you are right an STI thats 20 years newer against a fox is jsut plain unfair. I don't mind losing by a little as long as I get to say "too bad you paid $32,000 for your car, I paid 400 bucks"

·
Registered
887 Posts
Reguardless though, STi's are quick cars, and it is easy to upgrade them by just cranking up the boost. Its like an extra 50hp for a few hundred bucks where as we have to buy H/C/I or forced induction. Either way you are right an STI thats 20 years newer against a fox is jsut plain unfair. I don't mind losing by a little as long as I get to say "too bad you paid $32,000 for your car, I paid 400 bucks"
LOL absolutely true. I do like the STI's and SRT4 however. I'm considering getting an SRT4 as a daily driver.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.