Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I would say full bolt ons and a good driver should be able to get a S197 into higher 12's. A nice head/cam setup will get ya there for sure along with a good tune.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
What's your best ET, and what mods have you done so far, Mike? SCT Tuner.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
914 Posts
You want suspension mods remember 60' time is what makes or breaks your run. With all my mods my best run has been a 13.128 @106 mph but my 60' is 2.0 because ive got that stock suspension. Now there was another Mustang with basically the same mods and some control arms at the track that was also trapping 106 but ran a 12.8 because his 60' was 1.8 seconds. So Id say get LCA, UCA, and anti-squat brackets as well as the mods I have in my sig and that should get you there easily.

·
Banned
9,214 Posts
nos hehe

yea heads n a cam would be the way to go.. im looking for 13's when i go... a 13.99 is my mark.

good luck!

·
Registered
914 Posts
The Camaro has a whole 1.6 liters on us though. Mustangs are the most under estimated cars at the strip and on the street so its just that much more satisfying when you get your car faster than those big displacement cars.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
The Camaro has a whole 1.6 liters on us though. Mustangs are the most under estimated cars at the strip and on the street so its just that much more satisfying when you get your car faster than those big displacement cars.
One quick question, why did you go with the SF-3 and not the X3? The SF-3 is just a canned tune, for your year, make, and model vehicle while the X3 can be custom dyno tuned to your vehicle, Mike. SCT Tuner.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
914 Posts
One quick question, why did you go with the SF-3 and not the X3? The SF-3 is just a canned tune, for your year, make, and model vehicle while the X3 can be custom dyno tuned to your vehicle, Mike. SCT Tuner.:bigthumbsup
The shop that did my tune supplied the tuner and they put the dyno tune on the tuner so somehow someone figured out a way to get past that. Or maybe SCT changed the tuner or something but some how Speed Inc dyno tuned my car with the SF3

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
If you want to get your car, to run in the 12'S it's a very simple formula if money isn't a problem here. You don't have to replace your heads, as far as the heads are concerned. What you'll need to do, is port the heads. Just port work on the intake side, and port and polish on the exhaust side. Then you'll want to contact Comp Cams Tech, let them know exactly what you have done with the heads. You don't want to go to big, with the cam and end up with clearance issues. A JLT CAI, a short throw shifter, this is an area where you can make it work for you. Like a Steeda shifter, with a HURST stick, Steeda makes an excellent shifter, nice and tight not sloppy and when shifting gears they go right in. You want to make something, that's comfortable for you so do your research here your the one who's shifting the gears and you don't want to miss. A good free flowing exhaust, like an equal length shorty is fine with a Bassani Catted X pipe, and cat back. Your going to need a drive-shaft loop, and finally a set of 4.10, or 4.30 gears then to complete the formula an SCT X3 with a custom dyno tune. If this is something, that you can do just a little at a time. Then start off, with a JLT CAI, an SCT X3 and a set of 4.30's with a custom dyno tune and drive-shaft loop or tech inspection will not let you on the track without it. It's not a pretty sight, to see a drive-shaft let go then pole-vault you into the air. Then it becomes a very costly fix, Mike. SCT Tuner.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
914 Posts
If this car is your daily driver I would go with 3.73 gears they don't give you as much grunt as the other ones do but there is alot of driveablility that is lost in the 4.10s and higher. You could always go to a blower too which would be the fastest power gain though they are expensive. If you do go the blower route ive heard its a good idea to stick with the stock gear ratio of 3.55

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
That Camaro was impressive. Looked like he was on stock tires too. Few mods, lighter wheels & better tires may put that thing in the high 11's.

Anyway, to answer your question, what are you currently running and what have you done to the car?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Dont be afraid of the JUICE,, NOS is no harder on a car than other mods, Your car will take 150hp shot right off the line, spend $800 or do it the hard way with a bunch of parts and $5000 :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
242 Posts
The first 60ft. is the most important. I have been in the 2.09-2.30 range with the stock tires what few times I have gone to the track. I plan on buying some drag radials but I want to do some suspension mods first. Will upper and lower control arms along with tires get my 60 ft. times in the 1.80-1.90 range? J&M seems to have some nice deals on their products.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
The first 60ft. is the most important. I have been in the 2.09-2.30 range with the stock tires what few times I have gone to the track. I plan on buying some drag radials but I want to do some suspension mods first. Will upper and lower control arms along with tires get my 60 ft. times in the 1.80-1.90 range? J&M seems to have some nice deals on their products.
That should easily get you in that range.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Cool.....It really did not make any sense buying anymore speed parts until I got the traction issues taken care of first. I am wasting too much time with wheelspin with what few mods I already have.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.