Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering if any1 knos wuts a decent electric fan to go with for a pretty much stock 88 lx nothing crazy expensive though

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
The factory, crank-driven, clutch fan is darn good. What are you hoping to accomplish by switching to an electric fan?

Is you vehicle's electrical charging system stock? If so, that'll need to be upgraded if going to an electric fan.

Don't bargain shop on the cooling system. Get reliable, well-known, highly-recommended parts. In the way of an electric fan, you can't get much better than the Lincoln Mark VIII units and a DC Control unit.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im going to install underdrive pulleys and from what i hear every1 on this forum says not to unless ur gonna follow up with and electric fan and its also a cleaner look

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
The 3.8L Taurus fans are good too. I have one now and just the low setting is more powerful than the clutch fan ever was. The mounting is a little tricky, but you can do it...

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
88 Lx 50 said:
im going to install underdrive pulleys and from what i hear every1 on this forum says not to unless ur gonna follow up with and electric fan and its also a cleaner look
Underdrive pulleys will turn both the water pump and the alternator slower. Bad idea. That used to be the hot ticket for beginners 10 years ago. We know better today.

The stock alternator's output is already crap at idle with stock pulleys. Underdriving it makes a bad problem worse. Then you want to add an electric fan that's drawing even more power.

If you insist on underdrive pulleys and an electric fan, a higher output alternator is not optional, it's mandatory. And not an upgraded stock (2G) alternator. That'll still give you crap output at idle. Go 3G, 4G, or 6G.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well thanks alot for that useful info i guess i wont be ordering pulleys tonight. Instead of that what do you think i should do i mean i have gt40 heads that i wanna put in but not until i get the gt40 upper and lower intake and e303 cam, i have full exhaust and 3.73's cold air kit pretty much all that basic stuff i dont kno wut else to do

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
What about better brakes and suspension, and chassis bracing? Make it stop. Make it handle. THEN make it go.

How about that 3G+ alternator I've been talking about?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Fox Chassis is right, I have a 3G alternator on my 88GT and it was the difference between night and day. Now, at idle with my fan on, headlights and foglights on, and stereo screaming i have more voltage than I would have with just my stereo on with my stock alternator. Why dont you want to slap those heads on, youll still see at least 20 hp with the stock intake....

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have done brakes i have crossdrilled/slotted rotors and good pads new master cylinder i have sub-frame connectors i just ordered upper/lower control arms so thats why im kinda like i dont kno wut to do right now and its not that i dont wanna put the heads now but id rather just do it all at once u know i hate doing things twice especially if i dont have to

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Now get rid of those bling-bling cross-drilled rotors. Slots are OK. Holes are not. Your car will thank you with decreased braking distances and rotors that don't get hot, crack, or warp.

Sounds like you've done almost all you can do as far as bolt-ons go.

·
Registered
551 Posts
FoxChassis said:
If you insist on underdrive pulleys and an electric fan, a higher output alternator is not optional, it's mandatory. And not an upgraded stock (2G) alternator. That'll still give you crap output at idle. Go 3G, 4G, or 6G.
Did I miss something? 6G alts? Where was I? :eyepoppin

BTW, I'm planning an electric fan upgrade once I get my 3g installed (got it today :cool: ) anybody got the relay diagrams for a 94+ conversion? I could probibly wing it, but would prefer to have the voice of exp behind me :dunce:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.