Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know I recently installed a Paxton S/C from Brenspeed. Now I'm wondering if I should go for gauges?

I live at an altitude of 4500 feet, I can drive an hour north and be at 10,000 feet or head South to Las Vegas in 3 hours at around 2,500 feet. I understand thinner air at altitude effects the S/C performance.

So here are my questions:
What would I gain by installing gauges?
What guages to go for?
What brand and supplier is recommended?

Thanks in advance for your feedback:winks

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
You definitely need to be monitoring a few things with that supercharger. Air fuel ratio is the most important thing imo. I put an Aeroforce Interceptor along with the wideband kit in mine. It pretty much reads everything you need to monitor through the ECM and a couple of analog inputs. You may want to get a boost kit with it also. I didn't need it because the E Force comes with a TMAP sensor that gives an output for boost. Unless you just like the look of a bunch of gauges on the dash, that's the one that I would recommend. I put mine in a vent pod.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Boost and Air fuel ratio.

·
Registered
377 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for everyone's input so quickly:bigthumbsup Where is the best place to purchase the guages from?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You definitely need to be monitoring a few things with that supercharger. Air fuel ratio is the most important thing imo. I put an Aeroforce Interceptor along with the wideband kit in mine. It pretty much reads everything you need to monitor through the ECM and a couple of analog inputs. You may want to get a boost kit with it also. I didn't need it because the E Force comes with a TMAP sensor that gives an output for boost. Unless you just like the look of a bunch of gauges on the dash, that's the one that I would recommend. I put mine in a vent pod.
The Aeroforce interceptor seems to supply a lot of info! Not sure I would know what to do with all that extra information?

What do you mean I need to be monitoring a few things with my Supercharger?

Now for my blond question! Why do we need these guages? Are they there just to see when things are running off the norm?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Don't forget Fuel Pressure. Under boost if you don't have adequate fuel pressure ... you toast your' engine.

Boost / Vaccum
Fuel Pressure
Wideband A/F

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Example: Let's say you have an Interceptor with wideband in the car and your fuel filter starts stopping up because you got some dirty gas. You would see you air fuel ratio start to lean out and or your fuel pressure drop on the gauge. You would then know there was a problem and that it needs to be corrected. Without knowing, you would keep on driving and with a lean condition mixed with boost, Boom! There goes you motor! I installed my interceptor a few weeks before the supercharger. I personally would not even drive a supercharged car without it.

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
That aeroforce interceptor is looking cooler each time I hear about it. I just don't have the $250 to shell out since I can just barely afford the blower. But hopefully by the end of &une I can get it before my trek down to NC =)

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
That aeroforce interceptor is looking cooler each time I hear about it. I just don't have the $250 to shell out since I can just barely afford the blower. But hopefully by the end of &une I can get it before my trek down to NC =)
plus you half to buy the a/f ratio kit as well as fuel pressure and boost and so forth....

Aeroforce Technology Inc | Products - Sensors

i'm buying stand alone gauges- a/f ratio (AEM from summit), boost, fuel pressure, intercooler coolant temp. for now :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
plus you half to buy the a/f ratio kit as well as fuel pressure and boost and so forth....

Aeroforce Technology Inc | Products - Sensors

i'm buying stand alone gauges- a/f ratio (AEM from summit), boost, fuel pressure, intercooler coolant temp. for now :bigthumbsup
WOW....that makes the Aeroforce pricey and I'm not sure I would know what to do with all that information coming in!

I too was looking at stand alone gauges from Summitt:bigthumbsup Ameican Muscle also has some reasonably priced gauges:winks

·
Registered
709 Posts
I run a SOS 3 gauge pod and have Autometer Cobalt gauges: air/fuel ration, boost, and water temp. Got it all from Tillman Speed (Chris Rose).

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
WOW....that makes the Aeroforce pricey and I'm not sure I would know what to do with all that information coming in!

I too was looking at stand alone gauges from Summitt:bigthumbsup Ameican Muscle also has some reasonably priced gauges:winks
make sure the A/F is a WIDEBAND though! :yup: waste of money if its a narrowband... +1 on the other ones from AM though. :smoke:shop around to find the gauges you want and the look you desire. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I hate to say it but there is no such thing a good reliable cheap wideband. A quality setup is going to cost some $. But it is still a whole lot cheaper than a motor.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I hate to say it but there is no such thing a good reliable cheap wideband. A quality setup is going to cost some $. But it is still a whole lot cheaper than a motor.
i agree 100%, i just don't need all the other functions. i have a sct sf3 with livelink on my laptop so i can monitor all the same things as the aeroforce with real graph and i can select and overlay the runs to compare. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
i agree 100%, i just don't need all the other functions. i have a sct sf3 with livelink on my laptop so i can monitor all the same things as the aeroforce with real graph and i can select and overlay the runs to compare. :bigthumbsup
Sorry, I wasn't real clear. I was not specifically referring to the Interceptor. Any quality wideband and gauge is going to cost a couple of hundred or more. I have been told that the ones you see for around a hundred bucks or less are junk.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Sorry, I wasn't real clear. I was not specifically referring to the Interceptor. Any quality wideband and gauge is going to cost a couple of hundred or more. I have been told that the ones you see for around a hundred bucks or less are junk.
+1 i agree completely another good one is Innovate LC-1

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.