Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:sosad: Last night on the way home from getting soem food I put the car in OD and started to go, but the car acted like it was in neutral. I put the selector into D and it goes. I then drop off the girlfriend and head to the garage to fix it thinking it is a loose cable. On the way there it works in OD. When I get to the garage and get it in the air the cable is tight and shows no signs of slipping. Take it for a test drive, OD selected, all ok. Go to leave for work and it wants to go reverse when neutral should be and OD when Drive is again. Then this morning after work I have to drive in Low 1 and it still thinks it is in OD!!!

Anyone with an idea what could be wrong? :eyebulge:

·
Registered
136 Posts
My tv cable cable came detached from the throttle body and gave me the same symptoms. The cable came undone while I was going uphill and it started acting like it was in neutral/slipping, but in drive it was ok.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
There's a bushing at the throttle end of the cable which likes to fail. It'll burn up the tranny if not replaced.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked into the tv cable and it is attached at both ends. I ended up taking it to the dealer to have them look at it. What was come up with is the shift gate has too much play in it and is causing problems. That caused me not to be able to set the cable into the correct position. I am going to check on a new shift gate out of a shifter I have in the garage and see what happens with that installed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.