Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know what the mpg's will be on the highway with 4:10s. i have been debating on if i should get these gears or not. And also what the rpm range is going to be at 65 and 70. my only problem is spending to much on gas right now.

thanks

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Usually, 3.73's for an auto and 4.10's for a manual.as for mpg, depends how you drive it.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Usually, 3.73's for an auto and 4.10's for a manual.as for mpg, depends how you drive it.
Since when? :D I've always heard the opposite of that as a rule of thumb: 3.73's for a standard transmission and 4.10's for an automatic.

I say 4.10's if you're going to build and/or blow it for track use and 3.73's if you just like it for a daily driver with plenty of pep.

The 4.10's could be a bit much for daily driving if you're going to be building or blowing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gears on 2008 mustang gt/cs

i have a manual trans.. and the stock 18's for the tires.. i dont plan on putting on a blower for a couple of years. i do drive on the highway but 90% of my driving is only about 10 to 15 miles a day. i want the pep but i dont want to go to steep but i dont think 3:73's is going to cut it. thanks for your in put

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
i have a manual trans.. and the stock 18's for the tires.. i dont plan on putting on a blower for a couple of years. i do drive on the highway but 90% of my driving is only about 10 to 15 miles a day. i want the pep but i dont want to go to steep but i dont think 3:73's is going to cut it. thanks for your in put
With 4.10s you'd see approx 2400 rpm at 70 and 2200 at 65. With 3.73s it would be 2200 and 2000 respectively...

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Why not split the difference and throw on some 3.90's? Sounds like its exactly what you need...enough pep to make your drives fun but not overdoing it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Just put the 4.10's in and be done with it. I had the same dilema (I too have a manual with stock 18's). Like Stl said, don't go with the 3.90(Motives), there have been some bad stories on those, stick with the Ford gears, and someone that knows what they're doing when it comes to the install. Think of it this way, if you go with the 3.73's, there is a good chance you'll end up saying," why didn't I just go with the 4.10's?!" , but if you go with the 4.10's, I promise you won't wish you had went with the 3.73's .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah i figured someone would say that. thanks. does anyone know if it is worth doing the mid mounted flowmasters in stead of the axle back mufflers. i've seen it on yourtube and think it will be awesome. whatcha ya'll think

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
If you want a midmuffler, I would just do the pypes mid muffler. I have 4.10s in my car. My commute is about 70 miles per. day with about 85% being on the hwy. 4.10s are just fine on the hwy. Compared to my 3.55s my gas milage is about the same. The car pulls harder with 4.10s and my 4.10s are just as quiet as my 3.55s were.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
when i get the 4:10s will i have to drop back down to a 3:73 when and if i get a supercharger or turbo

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Well you don't have to switch back, stlwagon is running 4.10s on his and he definitely has more power then just a turbo. I think its mostly personal preference. If you run a turbo/sc with 4.10s on a daily driver, you might start having neck problems and you will have alot of trouble driving on highways.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.