Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I go with long tube headers or shorty headers when I upgrade my exhaust? I have flowmasters cat back. What are the benifits of each and what brands would you suggest? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
hmm, long tube headers will make a bit more power but the shorties are great for a street car since they make good power too and are really easy to install. long tube install involves lifting the motor to get them in, possible clearance problems with things like the steering and buying a specific h-pipe.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I agree.Shorties are easier to install.I put long tube BBK's and short mid pipe with flowmaster catback and did it in about 2 days due to rain.Love the sound and seems to have more torque.

·
Super Moderator
40,152 Posts
shorty headers make better lower end power where long tubes make better mid and upper power.....shortys are easier to install and cost less,there are several good brands to choose from,just see what is in your price range....

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
I'm pretty sure the long tubes aren't smog legal. So if you live in a smog tested state, you might not pass... I'm not 100% because I have them but I live in Oklahoma and we got rid of smog testing a few years ago! But I am Extremely please with the LT they sound great and gave me more power!

G

·
I'm pretty sure the long tubes aren't smog legal. So if you live in a smog tested state, you might not pass... I'm not 100% because I have them but I live in Oklahoma and we got rid of smog testing a few years ago! But I am Extremely please with the LT they sound great and gave me more power!
Long tubes are smog legal the mustang o2 sensors are in the h pipes you just have to get extenders for them

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Visual

LT's and single converter aftermarket mid-pipes won't pass most visual inspections, including California's - so find a near-sighted tester or one who doesn't bother to do the whole inspection.

The modern converters from the major brands WILL pass the sniffer test if they are in good shape (high boost applications, especially turbochargers, burn them out pretty fast, though).

·
Registered
152 Posts
Long tubes are smog legal the mustang o2 sensors are in the h pipes you just have to get extenders for them

The o2 sensors are not in the hpipe.They are at the end of the haeder where the collector is.You still need the o2 sensor extensions.I live in charlotte and they smog here on 96 and newer model cars.On my stang they look to see if the smog equipment is still intact.It took 15 minutes to get inspected

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Just because they retain the O2 sensors doesn't make them smog legal. No long tube has ever been certified smog legal, even with cats. Retaining the O2's just keeps the computer happy and operating properly.

Long tubes are a major PITA to install. You could wind up having to get a mini starter and aftermarket steering shaft for clearance. Shorty/equal headers aren't as expensive, easier to install and are smog legal. But if your area of New York doesn't require smog testing, then either is up to you. If you're going to be sniffed at your inspection, you should go with shorty/equal length.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I would go with shorties, I dont think the extra 10 or so hp is worth it from long tubes on a street car. Not to mention the cost difference.....IMO

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Header

Another way to look at the header question is to look at the money, and think of it as a fraction of the cost of something else for the car...

"LT headers?" Shoot, that's 25% of a supercharger!"

Take the money and put it in the bank. Wait for something big, rather than bolting on lots of small, expensive items.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I would go with shorties, I dont think the extra 10 or so hp is worth it from long tubes on a street car. Not to mention the cost difference.....IMO
Couldn't have said it any better, get some shorties.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have Mac Long Tube on my 79 and my dad has shorties on his 88. The Long Tubes are more expensive harder to enstall, but make more hp. Shorties are the exact opposite. If you are doing it yourself I say go with shorties, if its a shop they will have more expirence and could probably put the long tubes in easier.

Now as far as smog, i dont know about long tubes, but shorties definately work especially with the h or x pipes with cats.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.